Bucky Barnes: After

You sit on the edge of your bed, staring down at the paperwork in your hands. You feel kind of numb, you think you're still in disbelief of everything that's been happening.

You missed a whole five years?

You raise a hand to press against your eyes, feeling them burn.

You turn into dust for a few years and the world goes to absolute shit.

Natasha is gone, Stark is gone and left his little girl behind, Vision and Steve --- stupid Captain America! How the fuck are you supposed to belittle and insult an old man now!?

And Stark---.

"(Y/N?)"

Dammit.

"I'm in here," you mumble, and after a few moments Bucky steps into the bedroom you're sharing. It's small, just a cheap motel that had a vacancy. The white walls are dingy, but the bed is clean, and the TV has good reception; with the world's population suddenly returning, it's not like there's a lot of available space.

You don't look up at Bucky, just brush at your eyes hastily. You don't like crying, it makes you feel weak and stupid, and you hate it. You especially don't like showing it to him, when you know he feels the same pain you do, and you need to toughen up.

It's just everything is so overwhelming---.

"Baby, what's wrong?" You feel Bucky sit down beside you, his warm arm wrapping around your shoulder. You sigh as you lean into him, feeling his gentle fingers stroke your messy hair.

"Everything is just different." You say after a moment, slowly opening bloodshot eyes. "There was that fight, we were trying to survive --- and then we come back to another war, and everyone's just..."

"I know." Bucky presses his lips against your hair --- he'd been as disoriented as everyone else,especially when he couldn't find you. At first he didn't know what was happening, Steve was gone, and you --- for an hour, he was on the edge.

War is never easy.

"Look at these," you mutter after a moment, feeling your throat tighten painfully. It hurts in your chest, and you don't know why. You didn't even like Tony Stark, he was a jerk and he made you so angry you could scream, but... "L-look what that stupid tuna can did."

Bucky gently takes the official looking documents in your hand, scanning the crinkled lines quickly. His brows rise almost to his hairline, and he sends you an incredulous look.

"Right?" You sniffle, wiping at your nose with your sleeve. "Stupid jerk, why would he do that?"

"Maybe he liked you after all." Your boyfriend squeezes your shoulders, but you grimace.

You don't even know why he likes you, let alone anyone else. How did Stark know you --- or anyone else for that matter--- would come back from being dust?

"What am I supposed to do with five million dollars?" You mumble, annoyed. "I don't need his stupid money."

"It looks like he wrote you into his will so you could rebuild your bakery," Bucky slips the papers back to you. "He set up your own fund completely with a financial advisor and a building in the city."

"What an asshole, he didn't even let me pick my own building." You scowl, pressing your lips into a thin line. They're trembling, and you're having a difficult time keeping your voice level. You don't know why you're having such a hard time with all this, did Stark leave a therapist for you in his will too?

You press your hands against your face, and Bucky pulls you to him, wrapping his arms tightly around you. You curl your arms around his neck, burying your face against his shoulder.