Chapter 12

I arrive at Mariella's house the next morning a little later than I usually do, I ended up taking an Uber not wanting to drive

I arrive at Mariella's house the next morning a little later than I usually do, I ended up taking an Uber not wanting to drive. To be honest I was hesitant about coming back here after yesterday in fear that Jeremy would be here. I took my sweet time getting ready hoping that she would call and tell me he came back so I didn't have to come.

 If he was here again I would just simply leave and not come back. Mariella would just have to visit Anya at my house from now on. I am focused on protecting my own peace.

I use my key to open the giant white doors, and immediately my jaw drops as I take in the sight in front of me. 

In the middle of the living room is a giant teddy bear with half a dozen giant pink balloons containing different size pink gift boxes surrounding it. In the mix of gift boxes are a bouquet of white roses. I know Mariella likes to shop for Anya but she could go a little easier. 

Anya isn't even 6 months yet and she has more clothes than I do. And that's saying something. 

Anya wouldn't fit half this stuff in a week or even a month. I would have to change her outfit four times a day just to guarantee that Anya will get a chance to wear the stuff Mariella had upstairs alone.

I hear footsteps, I look over to see Mariella hopping down the stairs toward me.

"Mariella, umm this is a bit much. I mean I'm grateful but Anya doesn't need this much stuff. We haven't even gone through half of the clothes upstairs. Also, what's the occasion?" I ask looking around.

"Oh no Bambi," she says pursing her lips, "this is not from me."

"Then who is it from?" I trail off turning my head back to the scenery of pink in front of me once the realization hits me.

I hand Anya to Angela before walking to the bouquet of roses taking up the note in the middle.

The note was handwritten, I would know that handwriting anywhere. I half expect this to be a letter of disappointment. It's probably going to tell me that he's disappearing again. For good this time.

Dear Samantha,

I'm sorry. Believe me when I say that this is not how I wanted things to be. Anya changes everything. Everything I did and why will come to light soon enough. Please try to understand when everything unfolds. When this is over, I will never stop apologizing to you.

I love you

What's with this I love you business?

This is the most confusing man I ever met. I feel like this is another attempt to play with my feelings and I won't give him the satisfaction. I shake my head while handing Mariella the note.

"What the hell does that mean," she asked confused.

"Beats the hell out of me. I wonder what could be so important that he would abandon me the way he did. It's inexcusable in my opinion. You can keep all of the stuff upstairs, I don't want any of it in my house.