Chapter 18

The tension in the air was thick, so thick that a knife wouldn't be enough to cut through it

The tension in the air was thick, so thick that a knife wouldn't be enough to cut through it. Maybe a chainsaw would be needed. We stare at each other for a few moments of silence. I am almost afraid of where this might be going. We rarely argued when we were in a relationship, but when we did it was bad.

Some arguments made me think we would never work out. Some arguments made me think I would never see her again.

"Do you know what I went through after you left? After you declared your love for me? After you gave me a ring full of false promises?" My eyes immediately dart to her hand clinging to a glimmer of hope that the ring was still there. I had constantly forgotten to check if it was there before, but it wasn't. I felt my heart sink a little. "Do you even care?" She said again while sounding broken. The small whimper that escaped her lips caused my heart to fall straight into my stomach.

"Baby gir," I began to protest but she cut me off immediately.

"Stop calling me that!" I feel a rush of regret, sorrow, and anger run over my body at her words. "I'm not your baby girl, you lost the right to call me that when you broke my heart over a fucking text." The sound of her voice cracking again at the end caused me to feel devastated. I could feel my eyes beginning to become heavy.

"Shit Sam, what do you want me to say? I said I was fucking sorry!"

"You could have talked to me! And you can not get mad that Anya has an attachment to a man that you made sure was supposed to be in my life!" 

Is it weird that her yelling at me like this makes me want to fuck her brains out?

"He was never supposed to get that close," I grumbled.

"So what? He was just supposed to tell you If I was fucking another man? Or tell you if something you deemed significant happened in my life? So you were allowed to keep up with what I was doing for your own selfish reasons but I wasn't allowed to know anything about you?" She was looking at me like hated me and I couldn't take it.

"It doesn't matter because he didn't tell me anything anyway."

"That's not the fucking point Jeremy!" She sighs deeply and takes a second. I can see she is calming herself down. "How was it so easy for you to stay away from me?" She said in a soft whisper with a tear running down her cheek. "I was dying without you," she whispers defeated.

"You don't get it, you don't know what seeing those pictures of you in the hospital did to me. It struck a fear in me that would make me do anything my father asked. I couldn't risk anything happening to you Sam!"

"You happened to me though. You didn't hurt me physically but you broke me mentally," she said with disgust.

I cringed at her words. "I should have been there for you while you were pregnant. I know. Fuck!"

I'm just making myself mad.

It is silent for a few seconds until she speaks again.

"You have another baby on the way though. At least you will be there for her as always. She can get everything I never got. I should expect as much, she was always more important, and now she has won again."