Chapter 3: Pumpkin at the Door

"Val?" I stammered out as he helped me to my feet. He grinned, clearly pleased to have caught me so off guard. That, or for having been able to fit in some rather clever word play. "What are you doing here?" 

He chuckled softly, keeping his voice down. "I actually live here." 

I stood there frozen, gaping at him like an idiot. "Pardon?"

"I live here?" Val repeated, a look of amusement flooding his face. "I'm the prince." 

If possible, my jaw dropped even wider as I stared at him, looking for some sign of a joke. He looked completely sincere. 

Crap. 

A frown formed on his face. "Oh, please. It couldn't have been so hard to tell. After all," His grin widened as he made a show of twirling around, flaunting off his pretty clothing. Even dressed so, I couldn't imagine him on a throne without laughing. "Who ever could look as fabulous as me, a prince?" 

"I'm not certain how to respond."

"You don't have to." purred Val as he sauntered closer, hand slipping over my shoulder. I stepped back, stiffening when I felt my back press against the wall. 

"Cat got your tongue?"

"We both know, no matter how many times you mention them, I don't know who Cat is." I whispered back, which, thankfully, made him laugh and back away. I could hardly take him for more than a few minutes, much less an entire lifetime. Hopefully I'd still be alive by the time I inherited the throne. There was no telling with Val. 

Pushing off the wall as Val gestured for me to follow him, I wrapped my cloak tightly around myself. He told me he'd take me back to my room, somehow having figured out that on the way running back, I lost track of my location. 

I wasn't sure whether to ask him about the man back there, and wasn't quite sure I wanted to. But after a lengthy debate in my mind, I came upon the decision to mention it.

As I opened my mouth to talk however, Val beat me first. "Why are you here?" said Val. "I'm assuming you're one of the guests coming along with the prince? I heard he brought along some random guy." 

I tensed, preparing myself to break the truth to him. Instead, my lips started moving of their own accord. 

"I, uh, yes, that's right. I came with the prince." 

"So you're the random guy?"

"...yes." 

Valentine pouted, his shoulders slumping. "Too bad. I much rather would've married you." I laughed nervously in response, ears reddening at his statement. If only he knew. 

Leading me back up the steps of the castle, Val ranted about his new fiance. He didn't seem to mind too much about being forced into marriage, but I didn't expect much less. Knowing him, he probably thought of it as another chance to find someone to flirt with and test out new puns on. Perhaps even someone who would actually laugh and enjoy them, unlike me. 

When we arrived back at my wing Val turned around and smiled. "We'll just keep this run-in a secret. You weren't supposed to meet me until tomorrow. Just act surprised as you would've." he insisted with a wink. "I will too." 

Oh, don't worry, you won't have to act, I thought bitterly, but nodded cheerfully to him despite it. At least I'd be able to openly talk with him rather than sneaking off.  "I'll see you tomorrow, then." I say. "Sleep well." 

"How about a good-night's kiss first?" Val asked hopefully, not waiting for an answer as he grabbed the front of my shirt and yanked me closer. I yelped, panicking for a split second before scrambling away from him. I could've sworn felt his breath on my face.