03

The place was packed, as were all the bars near itaewon this time of year

The place was packed, as were all the bars near itaewon this time of year. The final parade of the evening had ended hours ago, giving the humans plenty of time to get shit-faced and the vampires a smorgasbord of unsuspecting victims. Festivals and New Year's Eve were the only times a vampire was allowed to bite inside a bar. All other times of the year, they were required to have their meals in a secluded courtyard, an alleyway, or a bathroom stall, depending on how classy the vampire was.

"Vodka's nice too." Jisoo followed a blonde onto the tiny dance floor, and Lisa leaned against the wall, crossing her arms and taking in the chaotic scene.

Patrons shouted their orders at bartenders, who rushed behind the bar, filling glasses and opening bottles, running credit cards and taking cash. An ass filled every seat in the room, but three-quarters of the patrons stood, laughing and talking with old and newfound friends.

Twenty-five years ago, Lisa might have enjoyed it. She liked to let loose every now and then, until the night she lost her fiancée, Irene.

She closed her eyes for a long blink, making room for the pain expanding in her chest. If she were honest with herself , she'd admit the ache had subsided over the years. But the pain was all she had left of the woman she'd loved, and she wasn't ready to let her go.

Lisa let it resonate for another moment or two before opening her eyes and returning to the present. She'd never forgive herself for what happened to irene, and she didn't deserve happiness. Not an ounce of it.

Shaking her head, she pushed from the wall and headed toward the dance floor. She'd  given Jisoo enough time to get her fill; it was time to go.

Lisa maneuvered through the throng of people and made it halfway to her destination before a brunette stumbled into her. She fell backward, but she caught the woman by the shoulders, setting her on her feet with ease.

"Wow. Either you're really strong, or I've lost a few pounds since I last looked in the mirror." The woman smile drew the air from her lungs, and though she technically didn't need to breathe, shock brought out her human instincts, making her cough.

" The woman smile drew the air from her lungs, and though she technically didn't need to breathe, shock brought out her human instincts, making her cough