12

A goddamn fang

A goddamn fang.

"Oh, come on." Jennie scooted away. "Those are prosthetic. Vampires aren't real." They couldn't be.

"Aren't we? You didn't take too kindly to daylight just then, and that was filtered through glass. Imagine what direct sunlight would do to you." Jennie narrowed her eyes at her, giving her that full-on smoldering effect again, making her stomach flutter, and an annoying little voice in the back of her mind whispered that she should believe her.

But she couldn't. "That was... You put something out there to keep me in. A massive heat lamp or something."

"Do you really think I'd go to that much trouble to keep you trapped inside my attic? I could have just locked the door."

"Well..." She had her there, but still. Vampires? "Tell me the truth, Lisa. This isn't funny. Did Rosie put you up to this?" Her friend had been trying to convince her vampires were real since they started planning this trip. It wouldn't surprise her.

"Your friend is a witch, yet you refuse to believe in vampires?"

So it was Rosie. "I knew it. I knew that little tramp set this up. What did she tell you?"

"She didn't tell me anything. She smells like a witch."

Jennie scoffed. "Smells? Tell me then, what does a witch smell like?"

"Like spices. Rosie's magic smells somewhat like cinnamon. It's faint, though. Is she aware she has powers?"

"Oh, come on. Cinnamon? Really?" Jennie threw her hands in the air. "Tell me the truth, Lisa, and cut the vampire crap."

"I wish this wasn't the truth, but it is. Do you have a mirror? Your face still hasn't healed from the light. Look at it."

"Ha. See, I knew you were lying." Jennie dug in her purse for her compact, a smug smile curving her lips. "Vampires don't cast reflections." Jennie flipped open the plastic container and looked at herself in the mirror. "Oh, my."

Her hair was a rat's nest, and mascara stains streaked her face, but the most disturbing sights were the bright red blisters on her cheeks and forehead. She tilted her head, staring as they shrank into nothing right before her eyes.

Jennie caught Lisa's reflection over her shoulder, her expression unreadable. Her lips twitched, and she hesitated to open her mouth. If she had fangs too, she'd...

Jennie smiled, and her teeth were normal.

Blowing out a breath of relief, she looked over her shoulder. "You know, you're so serious about all this, you almost had me believing you. I can see you in the mirror."