Into the Thick of It

With their phone lights on and data off, the three girls searched for the shovels they left as a place marker. A quick flashlight scan of their surroundings confirmed that they had just entered the woods, so all they had to do was locate the three golden shovels and dig their dead best friend's grave. Then, this nightmare would be over. Her shoulders ached, and she was sweating like a pig.

Suddenly, like restless desert wanderers finding a canteen, endorphins rushed through the three musketeers as they found what they were looking for.

Their backs thudded against the dirt, panting as they celebrated with well-earned rest. Their perfect victory was in sight.

"Yo!"

Oh no.

Riley's running footsteps could be heard from a distance following his exclaims.

"Are you guys okay?"

Riley quickly caught up to the trio, panting and resting his hands on his knees. He studied the scene before him, visibly confused.

"...What's going on?"

Abby hopped up to her feet, ready to handle the situation. A heavy wagon and three shovels in the woods. How the hell was she going to lie her way out of this? No words could come out her mouth. She looked to her friends, but they seemed to be in the same state she was in.

Riley sighed. His guess had been correct. "Abby," he turned to face her, "I don't know if you realized, but I've always loved you," he topped off his confession with puppy dog eyes.

No shit.

"Whatever you do, I will always be there for you. I will always support you, no matter what."

They've literally only spoken a handful of times.

"If you really did what I think you did, knowing your judgement, I'm sure they deserved it. I won't say a word."

"Oh. Well--"

He grabbed her wrist. His grip was tight and his hands were sweaty. His breath was...well, his breath was fine, but she still hated it. Abby truly hated everything about this boy.

But right now, she needed him.

He continued his monologue, "No matter what, you will always, always, be mine." he paused for dramatic effect. 

"I would do anything for you."

Did he rehearse this?

Abby could feel Maddie and Jessie holding in their laughter. She could tell they were enjoying this way more than she was.

"Okay...um. Cool. Please don't tell anyone."

"I won't tell a soul."

"Good," she looked to her partners in crime for guidance.

Jessie got up.

"We'd probably be pretty tired after digging this grave. Maybe you could dump the body in and help us cover up the hole?"

Riley perked up as if he was being asked to help them with homework.

"Sure!"

Abby sighed. Looks like taking care of him would have to wait. The idea really grew on her. She grabbed a shovel and, along with her two comrades, hit the dirt with the edge.

Just you wait, Riley.