Chapter 2

"FRANK! WAIT up!" 

 Hearing his name, Frank Hardy turned to see Callie Shaw walking quickly along the sidewalk. Hestood and waited, glad for one more excuse to delay going into the funeral chapel.

 Dressed in a suit, with his dark hair neatly combed, Frank didn't look at all like the guy in jeans andsneakers who'd slugged it out with Joe all over the parking lot two days before. Only a closer look athis lean face showed the remains of a split lip and the fatigue smudges under his eyes.

 Callie took his arm and matched strides with him. "Why are you here alone?" she asked. "Where'sJoe?"

 "Inside - I think. I haven't seen him since early this morning." Frank's face was tight. "But I heard himall last night, pacing around his room."Frank reached over to take Callie's hand. "The whole family seems to be going crazy. Dad lookedlike he'd seen a ghost when the cops finally brought us home. He told us to stay in the house, thenlocked himself in the den, making phone calls. Now he's disappeared. Maybe it has something to dowith this case." "He didn't tell you anything?" Callie asked. 

"I saw Dad for about two minutes last night." The frustration was clear in Frank's voice as theyheaded up the walk to the quiet, white-painted chapel. "He was carrying his suitcase to the car. All hesaid was that I should apologize to the Mortons and represent the family today. Mom and AuntGertrude are supposed to stay at the house. Something to do with those phone calls." Callie squeezedhis hand. "Frank, it all sounds so weird."

 He shook his head as they reached the chapel door. "I know. It's crazy. The cops are saying somebodyplanted a bomb in the car. But there's nothing to go on. No clues, nothing."

 They froze in the doorway when they caught sight of the broad-shouldered figure sitting in the lastrow of seats. "I don't think I've ever seen Joe in a suit," Callie whispered. "He looks like a differentperson." "He's acting like a different person," Frank whispered back. "Did you ever see him sitanywhere for five minutes without tapping his fingers or shifting around?"

 But Joe remained unnaturally still. When Frank and Callie stopped beside him, he didn't turn. His facelooked as if it were carved out of marble, as pale as his white shirt. His smile lines had been erased.Staring at the front of the chapel, he didn't even notice Frank and Callie.

 "I guess he really did love Iola, in spite of his wandering eye," Callie said quietly.

 "I suppose. He hasn't said anything since the explosion. For the first time in our lives, I can't get himto speak to me." The strain showed on Frank's face.

 The service itself was brief-all about Iola being taken "in the flower of her youth." No one touched onthe fact that she'd been killed. There was no mention of bombs or police investigations.

 Then the people in the chapel filed out, offering condolences to Mr. and Mrs. Morton and to Chet,Iola's older brother. Frank held his breath as Joe approached the Mortons. 

"I - I can't tell you how sorry ... " Joe began. "If I had known - if I could ... " He choked, turningabruptly to Frank. "Help me get out of here," he whispered. 

Frank took his brother's arm and headed for the door. Joe was quivering like a machine on overloadthat was about to fly apart. Frank had to get him into the open so he could let off steam. 

But a short figure stood silhouetted in the doorway, blocking their path. "Frank and Joe Hardy?" itsaid.

 The boys stopped in surprise. The person before them was a stranger, the most ordinary looking manthey'd ever seen. From his balding head to his black lace-up shoes, he virtually screamed, "Don'tremember me!" Reaching inside a slightly rumpled raincoat, the little gray man said, "I'm sorry. Letme introduce myself."