SONG OF THE X FILES

by Debra Anne Bush

THIS STORY SHOULD BE READ AS A SCRIPT

FADE IN:

EXT. DARK WATER OF ELIZABETH RIVER — NIGHT

WILLIAM (JACKSON VAN DE KAMP) emerges from choppy, dark water of the Elizabeth River with the bullet hole in his forehead. He closes his eyes and flashes back a few minutes.

EXT. PIER BY SUGAR FACTORY – SAME (FLASHBACK S11,E10)

"Mulder" at the very end of the pier. He is facing the cigarette smoking man.

"MULDER"

Would you shoot your own first-born son?

CSM

I shot my own second born son once.

Scully is shown running and running and going up and down stairs.

But I need you to know, Fox, that when I gave you life, I never fathomed the moment would come when I would need to end it.

"MULDER"

I don't think you can do it.

CSM

Then you don't know me very well.

The CSM shoots Mulder in the forehead. Mulder falls into the river. The CSM looks down.

CUT TO:

A body sinking quickly into the dark.

MULDER, O.C.

(screaming)

Hey!

CUT TO:

CSM turns around as shots are heard. Mulder is racing toward him, shooting the CSM multiple times. The shocked look on the CSM's face is priceless as the son he thought he just shot, is face to face with him. Mulder pushes the CSM into the river. Camera shows body face up, floating oddly on top of the river.

END FLASHBACK

EXT. RIVER – SAME

A close up of the body shows a hand on the arm of the CSM. The body is being pulled across the current and stops moving by the far side of the river near a bank.

Dissolve to:

Jackson opens his eyes. Suddenly he shoots out of the river like a dolphin. Jets of water are beneath him like a Las Vegas fountain, bending to where he is safely above the bank of the river. In one hand he is carrying a large, dark object, larger than he himself. The object lands with a thud on the bank of the river and then Jackson gently lands on his feet beside it. Pan down to the lifeless, wet face of the CSM, glassy blue-grey eyes wide open as they were when he was shot. Pan back to Jackson as he focuses down river.

Zoom through the blackness to the distant pier to see Scully and Mulder.

EXT. PIER BY SUGAR FACTORY – SAME (FLASHBACK-S11E10)

MULDER

For so long I believed—what am I now if not a father?

SCULLY

You are a father.

MULDER

What are you talking about?