Living arrangements and Training

Hokage's office, Konoha. Morning.

"You're a really smart girl, so I believe you know you can't live alone without a guardian, right?" Minato asks sadly.

I stand before the Hokage, as I was asked yesterday, wanting to rid of the problem of my living arrangements as soon as possible to start my training.

My fists clench at the implications and thinking about leaving my home filled with so many precious memories and mementos. I nod with my gaze on the floor, furrowing my brows in frustration.

His eyes soften more and his gaze changes to a stack of papers he reaches out for. "As for your inheritance and your house, which is in your name, but you won't be able to get access to them until you're sixteen or a chūnin." He clears his throat, clearly uncomfortable with the subject. "And as for you," his eyebrows creased in sorrow, "I'm sorry, but there is no other option but for you to stay in the orphanage until a guardian is interested in taking you in." His kind cerulean eyes meet mine. "Unless you would like to stay with us of course." He smiles.

My eyes widen in surprise. I feel them soften and a small smile takes over my face.

Even after how difficult I've been with them, they would still offer a home to me.

I lower my head and my brows furrow in thought. The blonde waits patiently with a caring smile and identical pair of eyes, leaning his chin on his joined hands, elbows resting resting on the desk. I raise my head when I come to a conclusion and answer the Hokage with and anticipating expression.

"I would like to completely and sincerely thank you for the offer of kindess, but I would have to decline." I see his eyes fill with disappointment. "It's not that I have anything against you or your family, on the contrary, I believe you are the closest thing I have to a family left." I continue, making his eyes widen in surprise then his face scrunches up in confusion. "But, I know how busy and hard being Hokage is, taking most of your time. I wouldn't want to impose on your short precious time with your family." He opens his mouth and tries to deny that statement lifting a hand, but I cut him off. "And Kushina-sama is already busy enough taking care of Naruto and shinobi duties, it would truly be unfair to suddenly take responsibility for two children. I'm sorry, but my desicion stands, Hokage-sama. I will go to the orphanage." I finish with my head held high in defiance and stubbornness.

Minato sighs in defeat before smiling in understanding. "I see. That's a pity, we would have loved to have you stay with us as family. I understand."

"Though, I would like to ask a favor." I say with determination filling my eyes.

Interest flashes through his eyes. "Oh?"

"I would like the opportunity to attend the ninja academy. My parents were going to fill the forms after they came back, but..." my voice trails off in sorrow and his eyes give off understanding and the man smiles reassuringly. I clear my throat and continue. "I know, without a parent's or guardian's signature, orphans need the matron's or Hokage's permission if interested, so since I'm here I would like to ask for yours."

He nods bringing out a stack of papers from his drawer and places it on the desk's surface. "Don't worry, I'll fill in any necessary information for you to attend the academy. Leave it to me."

I smile in thanks. "Also," I smile sheepishly, but he signals me with his hand to continue, eyes filled with amusement. "I know that since I'm no genin and being in the orphanage's care I will have less freedom when it comes to free time. There are so many children under their care, and although I know making exceptions and showing any kind of nepotism isn't in any way appreciated or appropriate, I would like to ask for a special request to be allowed to leave to train throughout the day and after the academy when I enter." I ask trying to keep my voice from wavering in nervousness.