six

On December 30th, Aurora Blake woke up feeling guilty as ever. She wasn't a homophobe, at least she didn't think she was. Reputation and elegance were just things that the Blakes always deemed important for generations. Aurora had a beautifully mapped out plan for both Bellamy and Octavia's lives, and homosexuality wasn't a part of that plan.

After Aurora cut off Bellamy from Clarke Griffin she remained unchanged. Still strict and conservative and always paying attention, especially to Bellamy. Aurora understood Octavia and she reminded Aurora of herself, but Aurora had a hard time understanding and connecting with Bellamy, that's why she was always so much harsher with him. Octavia understood the Blake family values and followed them without question most of the time, whereas Bellamy either questioned authority or made his own path, frequently one that Aurora wished he wouldn't go down.

When the disaster that was Christmas Eve happened, it was all a lot to process. Aurora knew Bellamy was lying, she knew that he was gay, she always did. The signs were all there but she ignored them, pushed them aside. Instead of being supportive she was condescending and manipulative, but in retrospect, she had realized that that type of parenting couldn't cure the boy's homosexuality, nothing could. It wasn't something to be cured at all.

Getting word of Octavia's divorce was also something Aurora did not take lightly, but that was something she could live with and get over. But the situation with Bellamy? She wasn't so sure. Aurora hadn't even spoken to her son since Christmas when Bellamy officially came out to her and Murphy left. She had no idea how to react or what to say.

"Hey, mom?" Octavia said from behind her office door. "Can I come in?"

"Yes Octavia," Aurora said. "What do you need?"

"I was wondering if we could open presents since we didn't on Christmas," she said. "Y'know, as a family."

"I don't know if that's a good idea," Aurora said. She turned her attention back towards her computer and started typing something.

"Can you at least talk to him?" Octavia asked.

Aurora didn't look at her daughter. "He lied to me, Octavia."

"So did I!"

"It's different-"

"-Why? Because you're a homophobe?"

"Don't call me that," Aurora snapped back. "I just want the best for him! For both of you! I don't want him to have a more difficult life than he has to."

"Well, if you don't want him to have a difficult life you could start by helping him mend his relationship with his mother," Octavia said. "If that's really all this is about, and not just about you not liking that he's gay, then you'll talk to him." Octavia didn't give Aurora a chance to respond after that and left the office with her arms crossed.

"How'd it go?" Lincoln asked from where he stood in front of the Keurig, coincidentally at the same time Bellamy uttered the same words from the dining room.

"Why are you even still here?" Bellamy said.

"You guys are still my family. We're still friends. Aren't we?" Lincoln said. "You want coffee?"

"Sure," Bellamy said, watching Lincoln walk over to Octavia and hand her a cup of coffee. "So you're in on this whole thing too?" Bellamy asked.

"Why not?" Lincoln said. "Murphy seems like a nice guy. If you make each other happy why wouldn't I want to help you guys fix things if I'm able to help y'know?"

Bellamy smirked. "You surprise me every time I see you Lincoln. I can't believe it took you guys getting divorced for me to see that you're not a terrible person."