Chapter Twenty Three

Valarie's POV

I was seated at a dresser in a day gown as servants bustled around me, fixing my hair into a style fit for a queen. I found the experience a little tedious, but I couldn't deny my excitement at being able to wear a beautiful gown and look elegant. Fashion had always been my thing.

One of the servants was dusting powder onto my face —it was more shimmery and sparkly than any makeup I was used to, and I hoped it would still look good. There were no mirrors around me, and I suspected it was to keep me from protesting about my appearance.

There was a knock at the door, and Devian entered with Sadie at his side. She was carrying a large, gorgeous ball gown. It was dark grey, the skirts silky and flowy, and the sleeves trailing down to the floor. Each shoulder was adjourned with navy jewels, as well as the bodice.

I stared at it in awe, and Sadie smiled softly. "This is a big day," she said, placing the gown carefully on the bed before turning back to me. "How are you feeling?" "Nervous," I admitted, and Devian smiled.

"You'll be fine," he promised, crossing over to me. "I can already see that you'll look stunning."

I glanced down to avoid his gaze, feeling myself blush. "Where's Reina?" I asked without looking at him.

"I think she's helping with preparations at Klaus' manor," he replied. "He has a much larger space—it's designed for this kind of thing. There are a lot of people attending the ceremony."

That didn't exactly ease my nerves. Another knock sounded at the door, and a younger boy walked in. I recognized him as a messenger immediately. "Excuse me," he said, pausing in the doorway. "I didn't mean to intrude, but I have some important news."

Devian turned to face him curiously, and I glanced his way as much as I could with the servants prodding at my hair.

"It seems that the Starlight Princess and her entourage are here." The boy said meekishly.

I whipped my head around, no longer caring about the servants, my eyes wide. "What?"

"Where?" Devian added sharply.

"Eriz's manor. He's holding them captive—I thought the Zareina would want to know in case they interfered with the ceremony—"

I leapt up from my chair, alarmed. "Eriz has them?" I repeated, adrenaline racing through me. This was bad.

Extremely bad. I turned to Devian, narrowing my eyes.

"Take me there now," I demanded.

"You can't go out there now, Valarie," he insisted, shaking his head. "You need to stay here. I'll go—"

"Absolutely not," I growled back. "Lucy is my best friend and I'm not going to sit here while Eriz torments her! I'm going with you, and that's final."

"Eriz is on the other side of the twelve kingdoms," Sadie protested, coming to stand closer to us. "It wouldn't be wise to venture such a long way on a day like this."

I turned and grabbed my coat from the closet hook, ignoring her. "I'm going, whether you care to accompany me or not," I said darkly, daring anyone to try and stop me. "I'll be back when I have them out of there."

"You can't go alone," Devian protested, walking briskly alongside me as I stormed down the hallway. "I'll come with you—just hold on. Let me prepare a carriage. It will be faster."

The messenger and Sadie followed quickly behind us. "I really must insist that you don't go, Lady Valerie." Sadie called from behind me. I ignored her once more.