05 | train wreck

CHAPTER FIVE — TRAIN WRECK

"I'm a fifteen year old fugitive, those are some serious life goals

"I'm a fifteen year old fugitive, those are some serious life goals." — alexia ortega

THE WATERY DEPTHS OF THE RIVER WERE QUICKLY CONSUMING THE VEHICLE AS IT SUNK TO THE BED BENEATH

Alexia felt her heart race inside her chest as the car filled with cold. It rose its way up her body, trying to engulf her entirely. The girl shivered at the sensation but tried her hardest to remain calm despite it all. Someone was gunning after them, but even the fifteen-year-old knew this wasn't the time to panic. And besides, growing up along the coast meant she was a pretty good swimmer. 

She burst through the watery layer and into the air pocket trapped within the car with her Father and the analyst right behind her. They gasped for breath as they tried to get their bearings, their lungs straining slightly from being underwater so long. Alexia then raised her hand to move the soaked strands of hair from in front of her face. Oh how she wished she had tied her hair up earlier because now it was everywhere.

Ethan quickly cast his eyes over the two on each side and scanned them for any sign of injury. "You two okay?" He asked as he placed his hands flat against the metal above them.

"Yeah."

Both Brandt and Alexia sighed their replies as they struggled to keep their heads within the small pocket of air. And it didn't help that she was shorter than the two men which just made it even harder for her. 

Her feet were constantly pushing up from what was the roof of the vehicle as she attempted to keep herself up and within their safe area. But with the day she had just had, Alexia was growing increasingly tired and her limbs throbbed with fatigue.

They had to get out of there. And fast.

Glancing between them, Ethan then spoke up. "Take a deep breath. Stay with me." He instructed. And even though Brandt and even Alexia didn't truly know him yet, they knew they could trust him with their lives. Because that was the sort of man her Father was.