Chapter 9. A Heart's Desire

"I wanted to climb up the hill near my hometown. I want you and Isla to come with me." I asked. Bisig looked serious but after hearing my plead, he then started to laugh. "Is that why you came here? Sounds pretty reasonable to me." He smiled sarcastically. I cannot figure it out myself but I feel that there is something more to my request than just climbing up a hill. I started to wonder if everything that I am doing now is making any sense. But having to be back in the village and soon getting to see my hometown again is everything to me already. "Alright. I'll go with you, but only in one condition." Bisig said. I raised one eyebrow up as I stared at him. He then added, "Let's ride the horse together. Alon and Isla will go together in the carriage." He surely is a bad boy. I thought that if he was flirting with me then it's wasn't working. "Deal." I replied. He then showed me his home and informed his mom that he will be coming with us. His mom hesitated at first but soon agreed. I said goodbye to the villagers with a light heart. I remember each and everyone's smiles as I was touring the whole village awhile ago with Isla. It was more than enough for me that it made me feel a sense of fulfillment. The villagers and I were able to heal a deep scar that has been bounded within our hearts for a long time. It was then time to go visit my hometown. We went out of the gates and saw Alon and Isla talking to each other while they sat under a shade of tree next to the carriage. Alon stood up and was about to come near me but then Bisig came up to him and whispered, "I'll be taking what was suppose to be mine. So please take Isla with you, only if she wants to." Bisig took his horse and assisted me to climb up on it. Alon suddenly had this sarcastic smile on his face then he came towards us and said, "You don't own anyone and neither do I. Keep that in mind." He faced Bisig upfront and seeing them like that I immediately barricaded them. Alon looked upset as he looked at me and added, "You are seriously not gonna come with him, are you?" I stayed silent until he said, "If so I am out then, you may as well have him escort you back to the city." Isla comforted Alon just as he was about to ride his horse and she said, "I will come with you to the hilltop, Alon." I slowly approached Alon while Isla got inside the carriage. I was left looking at Alon while he looked back at me. "I'll see you at the hilltop then." I said to him. He had such a dismayed look that he didn't even replied. Bisig who was already riding his horse offered his hand to me and then we took off to my hometown. As soon as we reached my hometown, we stopped by at my grandmother's house. We saw that it was all burnt down. The sight of it caused too much sadness that memories from my childhood came flashing right infront of my eyes. Isla hugged me when she saw tears running down my cheeks. We then walked away and rode our horses. Soon after, we reached the hill's location. However, it started to rain heavily. We then took shelter in an abandoned hut just a bit farther from the hill. The horses were put on the sides of the hut to provide them some roof. Everyone was quiet. "Let's play a game." Isla suggested. Nobody responded. "Okay then. I'll start." She added. She had us play a game in which every child in the Philippines had once played during their childhood days. A game which chants, "Nanay, Tatay gusto mong tinapay? Ate, Kuya gusto mong kape? Lahat ng gusto mo ay susundin ko. Ang magkamali ay pipingutin ko. Isa, dalawa, tatlo.." It was a clapping game in which the arms were placed on both sides which formed the members into a circle. It says, "Mom, Dad do you want some bread? Sister, Brother do you want some coffee? Everything you want I will do for you. But once you make a mistake I will twist your ear. One, two, three.."
Members will count from one to ten as they do a clap with their partners' hands with the exact number chant. One clap, two clap and so on until only one is left to be declared the winner of the game. Isla was really a kid at heart. She is just a year older than me. We all felt awkward at first but in the end we really had a lot of fun. I cheered aloud for Isla when she finally won the game. Soon after, the sky turned darker even after the rain had stopped, so we had to postpone our mission. It would be slippery once we climb up the hill and it was difficult to see during the night. I have to come back here again even if I had to go back alone. We headed back to the village and as soon as we arrived, we were greeted by Bisig's mom. She then asked how our journey went and if we encountered any Spaniards. Bisig assured her that we were all fine however we discovered about my grandma's burnt house. His mom gently patted my back and said, "Just like a broken hut, It's never too late to mend a broken heart. As long as you continue to love then you can rebuild yourself." I wanted to break down in tears as I looked at her. She then invited us to eat supper together with the elders. While eating dinner, an elderly woman asked if Alon and I were a couple and I directly answered 'No'. Another elderly woman mentioned about Bisig and Isla being a perfect match since she was very close to Bisig's mother. Isla replied to them and said that they both treat each other like siblings. An elderly man interrupted them and he said, "They are all still young for Christ's sake. Leave them alone." We all laughed at his sudden comment. That elderly man would always be so timid just like an observer, until he finally spoke up this time. After supper, we took a bath and prepared for bed. Isla and I slept next to each other in her house while Alon stayed with Bisig in his home. I couldn't sleep due to overthinking. I hope that grandma is doing well. Also I thought hard about going to the hill alone tomorrow morning without letting anyone know but I might cause some trouble again. I then stood up and looked at the evening sky from the window. Isla who was still awake asked me, "What are you thinking about, Diwa?" She sat down in bed and so I sat next to her. "I decided to come alone in the hill tomorrow. I need your help. Would you be so kind to lend me one of your horses?" I asked. She gave me a concerned look but then she smiled and said, "Only if you let me come with you tomorrow." I nodded in reply and smiled back at her.