Chapter 9

"Oh, you look cute in that kurta," Esha told me as I sat down beside her in the class. "It's a new one, right?"

"Yeah," I told her.

"Yellow suits you." She said referring to the colour of my new kurta.

I smiled...

"It's such a shame that your boyfriend can't even see how pretty you are looking in that." She added meanly. I hated that. I don't like that sort of talk at all. I... Okay, I also wish if Aditya could see me in this new kurta. But that does not mean I should be separated from him just because he can not see me. If it's not him, there is no meaning in anything.

"Why did you wear something new? Is it any special day today?" Esha asked again.

"Today is Aditya's birthday," I said.

"Oh..." She said and then went silent again. She will disapprove of our relationship till the end.

"I am wearing something new today," I told Adithya when we were walking hand by hand in the street. "New kurta."

"Really? Which colour?" He asked.

"Yellow," I told him.

"Good. I feel like Yellow will suit you."

I smiled.

"Do you have a gift for me?" He asked.

"Yes..." I nodded. "I will give it to you later. At your home."

He wanted me to meet his mom. Even I wanted to meet his mother whom I always thought of as such an inspiring person. So we were going to his home.

"Mom..." He called out when we reached. His mom ran out to greet me. I gave aunty a namaste... I was not sure if I should touch her feet too. She hugged me instantly. It did not feel strange. It felt warm and familiar. As if I knew her before.

"Come inside..." She told me. She led me inside and we chatted a lot for a while. She even showed me Aditya's childhood pictures despite protests from Adithya. I laughed seeing his crying face and young face.

"That's unfair." He said. "I want to see your childhood pictures too." He said... And sounded disappointed.

Aunty and I got silent at once.

"Hey...chill..." He said at once when he felt that we felt sorry. "You guys get tensed easily."

After we had lunch, Aditya was in his room, and I decided to help out Aunty to wash dishes. She talked to me while we washed dishes. She told me everything about Aditya... things I do not know also...

"You know, when I had told him to be the sun so that people do not find his darkness; I had not meant that he should hide his weakness and sadness from those who are near to him as well. Now, he hides his sadness from everyone. Well, he does not become sad that often and is such a bright child, but... I wish sometimes when he is sad he shows that to me at least."

"He would not show it to you," I said, and then realized that sounded rude. "I mean, he has told me that he wants to protect his mom. He wants to be a capable son to you. That he wants you to live a life that a mom with a normal son would live. Not the life of a mom whose son has a disability. And I think you should be proud to have a son like that. Not many children will think this far about their parents. So you should be proud."

Aunty looked touched. "I am proud," She said.

I smiled.

Adithya came up to the kitchen... "Mom, Can I borrow her for a second?" he asked.