Level I - Another World

My name is Hajime Nagumo, and I am a synergist.

But wait, I hear you say, shouldn't you be in school?

Yeah, I should. If we were on Earth, that is. I and my classmates alongside with our homeroom teacher were summoned to another world called Tortus, to fight for the humans against demons.

We were called the Hero Party.

Upon arrival our classes – jobs, if I were to explain what those are – were determined. Kouki landed the Hero class...obviously, with his morals of justice and self-righteousness. Shirasaki became the Healer, in accordance with her gentle personality.

As I already mentioned, my class was Synergist. Immediately Hiyama, who was a Caster, began to mock me before being bodyslammed to the ground. Not by Kouki, he's too busy not displeasing anybody to deal with these type of situations – his righteousness doesn't mean he's actually a good person.

To quote what he said, Amanogawa is the most rotten of us all. With him leading the party, indecisiveness will reign supreme, and betrayal will be our doom.

The he I'm referring to is Gabriele Fabianelli, a westerner who joined my Junior High in our first year. We've been best friends ever since...he considered himself to be my right-hand man, despite me thinking he was superior to me in every aspect. He used to say, you're a gentle soul, Hajime. I'm a hot-tempered bastard, whose morals are very controversial. You'd make a far greater hero than me, than Kouki. You are a quick thinker, you're selfless, but you're ready to go for the kill. We're having a war on our hands...try not to lose yourself – we're getting out of this together.

I'm sure you're wondering why I'm using the past tense. It's simple, really...the day he fell, from the Orcus Labyrinth's 20th floor, that was the day I decided to become stronger. To never forget him, to save him.

But first, maybe you'd appreciate a little bit of context.

FLASHBACK

Silence fell as the strange-looking priest gasped. He was right in front of Gabriele, who was enveloped in a bright light: then a spirit appeared, in the form of a woman in her mid 20s wearing armor and wielding a spear.

"B-brunhilde-sama?!" the priest exclaimed, still shocked.

"This one is a fitting vessel, I shall take him to face the trial." Brunhilde said, brushing Gabriele's left arm with her hand.

"As you wish, Brunhilde-sama."

And in another flash of light, he was gone.

Our POV

"Brunhilde-sama?"

"Oh, please, drop the formalities. How come are you not freaking out?"

"Well, it's no use...I assume it's related to my combat class, so there has to be a specific reason."

"It's nice to see you have a functioning brain."

I nod and catch up to her. "Earlier, with the priest, you mentioned a trial. What's it about?"

"Have you heard of Ragnarok?"

"...I think it's Norse mythology?"

"Normally, you'd be correct. The Ragnarok I'm referring to is humanity's final struggle against the gods. Many gods died, and humanity pulled through once again. However, humans died too, such as Adam, Lu Bu, Raiden Taneemon, Michel Nostradamus..."

"You're telling me legit historical figures fought against gods? What was the score?"

"9-4, for humanity. It was astonishing to see. But anyway...as part of your trial, you'll have to meet them and train with them. Then, you'll be judged by the valkyries."