prologue

2016,it was grade 10, i was 16

2016,
it was grade 10, i was 16. my friends and i were walking around the town square. we were having fun; we went window-shopping, took so many photos, all while holding large paper bags of clothing on our arms.

❝miyoung, let's take some photos near the fancy fountain!❞ my friend ahin said. nodding, we walked over to the large water fountain. ❝chanmi and i will take your photos first!❞ i posed in front of the fountain; i held my bags and smiled, had my bags display around my feet and looked somewhere in the distance, turned my body toward the fountain with my head turned back to the camera, and kept repeating but with my hands or arms in a different placement. soon after i was done, i helped my friends take some of their own photos. we asked an older couple to take a few photos of all three of us together. as the couple walked away, we looked at all the photos. i watched the older two walk away, thinking what my life would be like if i was in a relationship like theirs; appeared to others as happy and lovely.

❝hmmm... i'm craving some coffee and shortcake! you girls want to go to a nearby cafe?❞ chanmi asked, ahin and i hum in agreement. ❝i heard there's a new one a few stores away from here!❞

hey -chan, hurry up with our orders. mark joked, causing the other two boys to laugh.

laugh all you want, but that'll be my stage name. you're laughing at a future idol, dumbass. i retorted, sliding the drinks to the respectful person. my friends rolled their eyes at me but thanked me for getting their drinks. i sat down next to jaemin, checking my phone for notifications. i was awaiting for a possible acceptance from my auditions to multiple companies. my friends drank their coffees but i knew they were looking at me.

don't worry dude. they probably have hundreds of people, citizens and foreigners, with auditions. i'm sure they haven't seen how good yours is. jeno said, in hopes of calming my worries.

yeah, jaemin added, you know what you should do instead of waiting for a reply? you should go on a date since you never did— i shot up, HEY! some people in the cafe looked at me weird and my friends continued to laugh at my embarrassment. am i wrong though, hyuck? and i'm pretty sure you know about the no-dating rule in the industry. might as well find your wife or be forever lonely. my friend took a sip of his iced americano.

he was right. i do kinda want to experience a relationship, but i don't know. wait- why am i even listening to jaemin??? no i'm good, sounds weird when you put like this is my last chance to a happy relationship. i drank some of my coffee, plus, there's always mark who i could secretly date when i become famous. i flashed a smile and wink towards him across the table. he choked a bit on his drink, mumbling a "gross" after.