twenty five || copyright [please read]

- Disclaimer. ---

Hi everyone, today I want to spread something important for graphic designers in this chapter, and I want to apologize for giving misinformation in the past.

" Pinterest is not a valid place for resources. "

Back around 2019 when I published my first book, in the third chapter, I basically mentioned that Pinterest is the best place to find pictures when in fact, it's not. Everyone shares pictures on Pinterest, but not every picture is available for us to use freely, due to copyright.

I've actually learnt about copyright since early 2020, and have been putting off changing that part of the first book for ages until AngeBlancRose [thank you so much Rose] pointed it out for me just recently. And in that moment I knew I have to own up; by the time you read this, all the text of that chapter will be deleted and I will redirect them here.

I also want to sincerely apologize for :

- misguiding beginners that Pinterest is a valid source

- making up excuses for it throughout the last year when people pointed it out

And I feel like now I want to give you guys thorough explanation about copyright and how dangerous it is to avoid my mistake.

----- - --- (❁'◡'❁) --- - -----

Table of Contents

◇ What is Copyright?
- Definition
- Two Types of Copyright

◇ Websites that provide free pictures

◇ End Note

◇ Sources

----- - --- (❁'◡'❁) --- - -----

What is copyright?

Copyright is the right of a photographer to publish and distribute his or her work. The photographer has exclusive rights and is allowed to set conditions with regards to what interested parties may or may not do with their image. Copyright protects the creator, to prevent their work being shared with the rest of the world without permission.

Copyright can be divided into 2 parts :

[ 1. All Rights Reserved ]

Many photos are accompanied by the text 'All rights reserved' and the symbol ©. Usually this means that a photographer requires you to pay to use their photo, but in some cases asking permission is sufficient. Obviously, you always have to include a credit. Unfortunately, in most cases 'All rights reserved' means that the photo may not be modified and therefore only the original file may be shared.

You usually find this type of image on stock photo sites like Shutterstock. These sites act as intermediaries: on their websites they offer images from photographers who want to sell their work. This (often) involves a considerable price tag

[ 2. The 6 Creative Commons Licenses ]

The term 'Creative Commons' enables photographers to allow copyrighted work to be distributed free of charge for certain types of reuse. The copyright that protects creators remains in place.

There are six types of creative commons :

a. CC BY (Creative Commons Attribution)

--> This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation.

< note ; by crediting, it means actually stating the owner's name, not just saying 'credits to the original owners' or something similar >

b. CC BY-ND (Creative Commons Non-Derivative)

--> This license allows for redistribution, commercial and non-commercial, as long as it is passed along unchanged and in whole, with credit to you.

c. CC BY-SA (Creative Commons Share Alike)

--> This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work even for commercial purposes, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms.

d. CC BY-NC (Creative Commons Non-Commercial)

--> This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, and although their new works must also acknowledge you and be non-commercial, they don't have to license their derivative works on the same terms.

e. CC BY-NC-SA (Creative Commons Non-Commercial Share Alike)

--> This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms.

f. CC BY-NC-ND (Creative Commons Non-Commercial Non-Derivative)

--> This license is the most restrictive of our six main licenses, only allowing others to download your works and share them with others as long as they credit you, but they can't change them in any way or use them commercially.

----- - --- (❁'◡'❁) --- - -----

Websites That Provide Free Pictures

◇ Pexels
◇ Unsplash
◇ Pixabay

----- - --- (❁'◡'❁) --- - -----

Fonts also have their own copyright laws, which I have explained in part four of this book in the copyrights section.

----- - --- (❁'◡'❁) --- - -----

- End Note. ---

◇ Again, by the time you read this I have edited part 3 of my first book about searching images online

◇ I will try to find each owner of the pictures of my older tutorials and mention them, and credit owners in future tutorials

◇ Please be careful searching online images!

----- - --- (❁'◡'❁) --- - -----

Sources // all the links are here for you to check out ----->

◇ " Copyright and Images, a Quick Explanation. What Is Allowed and What Is Obligatory. " by Lilian Timmers

◇ " A Pinterest Designer Once Said " from " Reveal Graphics " by ColeReveals

◇ " What Are the Different Types of CC Licenses? " by Creative Commons USA

----- - --- (❁'◡'❁) --- - -----

Thank you so much for reading and please spread this information!