chapter 1 - a villain

This story starts with a 17-year-old boy dissociating in a bathroom 600 feet off the ground.

In approximately 30 seconds, which he will count out on his chewed-up nails, he will stand up, open the door, and kill 5 people eating dinner happily over the city skyline with the cold, semi-automatic pistol he has loaded in his right hand.

The white porcelain plates lined with golden trimming will shatter against the red and yellow swirled carpeting, pieces of Peking Duck and caviar and fries will spill on the floors, and blood will leak from their heads onto the pristine white tablecloths.

In approximately 30 minutes, a hero will swoop by, and land triumphantly on that same red and yellow carpet. Underneath their mask, an expression of sorrow and emotion, and guilt will light up their eyes as they realize too late, too late, 5 innocent people are dead. They will swear to catch this vile villain who had murdered these people, 1 businessman, 1 wife, 1 son, and 2 daughters. They will shed a few tears for the press already flashing and snapping away with their huge, black cameras.

In approximately 1 hour, the news will broadcast the death of the family of 5 that went too soon, too soon. They will commemorate what they did, how the father would take his kids to school and kiss them goodnight, how the mother would invite the whole neighborhood for cookouts, how the daughter played the piano and how the son would play soccer on the street.

In 15 seconds, Wilbur Soot will cut short a family full of life.

Wilbur Soot is not a psychopath.

Wilbur Soot is what they call a villain.

And one day a hero will stop him.

But today will not be that day.

Because all the calculations have been set.

And the hero foundation notified to not come,

Until 20 minutes after

Blood is spilling out the necks of 5 innocent people.

10 seconds now.

Wilbur is almost there.

The gun is ready in his hand, loaded. He holds it like a beating heart.

The girl's giggles are spreading outside as she steals her other sister's fries.

He fixes the bowtie from the waiter uniform he was given, ruffling his curly brown hair that flops over his forehead into his eyes.

5 seconds now.

A chorus of "ewwwwss" erupt, and he can almost see the father plant a kiss on the mother's cheek.

3

He shifts his weight against the doorway.

2

His finger rests on the trigger.

1

He flings open the door, and he pulls the trigger.

1, 2, 3.

The scene plays exactly how it's supposed to.

The caviar spills.

The fries fly.

And blood spreads onto the white tablecloths.

A daughter, curly, dirty blonde locks, sits there with her face ashen.

4.

And then the son.

He stares up at Wilbur with curious eyes, tilting his head. He does not understand why his family is slumped over. He does not understand the black object in Wilbur's hand. He does not understand why the fries flew or the caviar spilling or the loud noises.

5

Wilbur shoots him in the face.

What, you thought he couldn't do it?

You thought that he wouldn't do it, that he would stop and he would let them live.

You thought that if he saw, he would stop.

You thought that he wouldn't kill them.

You thought he could be human.

Well, this story isn't like that.

This story is black and white.

There is no in-between.

And there certainly is no forgiveness.

Wilbur shoots out the window and watches it shatter, the wind whipping into his face, biting the acne on his cheeks. The glass shards bite at his ankles.

And he jumps.

And even then, he doesn't die.

Even though he wants to.

Because someone always has to catch him.

Because apparently,

People can't live without hating someone.

He crashes through the air, spiraling, his black T-Shirt whipping around his body.

And he lives.

Because others need to die.

Wilbur Soot is a villain.

And as he closes his eyes, he knows he cannot change that.

---