Chapter-5

BIOLOGY CLASS

A frog is being torn asunder by several prongs and picks.
Niall and Liam go for the spleen.

NIALL:  You're in school for one day and you ask out the most handsome boy? Do you
have no concept of the high school social code?

Liam grins away.

LIAM:  I teach him French, get to know him, dazzle him with charm and he falls in
love with me.

NIALL: Unlikely, but even so, he still can't go out with you. So what's the
point?

Liam motions with his head toward Harry, a few labtables away. He's wearing biker glasses instead of goggles as he tries to revive his frog.

LIAM:  What about him?

NIALL: (confused) You wanna go out with him?

The others at the lab table raise their eyebrows

LIAM:  (impatient) No - he could wrangle with the brother.

Niall smiles. Liking the intrigue.

NIALL:  What makes you think he'll do it?

LIAM:  He seems like he thrives on danger

NIALL:  No kidding. He's a criminal. I heard he lit a state trooper on fire. He just
got out of Alcatraz...

LIAM:  They always let felons sit in on Honors Biology?

NIALL:  I'm serious, man, he's whacked. He sold his own liver on the black market
so he could buy new speakers.

LIAM:  Forget his reputation. Do you think we've got a plan or not?

NIALL:  Did Zayn actually say he'd go out with you?

LIAM:  That's what I just said.

NIall processes this.

NIALL:  You know, if you do go out with Zayn, you'd be set. You'd outrank everyone.
Strictly A-list. With me by your side.

LIAM:  I thought you hated those people.

NIALL:  Hey -- I've gotta have a few clients when I get to Wall Street.

A cowboy flicks the frog's heart into one of the Coffee Kid's latte. Liam presses on, over the melee.

LIAM:  So now all we gotta do is talk to him.

He points to Harry , who now makes his frog hump another frog, with full-on sound effects.

NIALL:  I'll let you handle that.

WOODSHOP

Boys and a few stray girls nail their pieces of wood. Niall sits next to PEPE, a Coffee Kid, who holds out his jacket like the men who sell watches in the subway. Inside several bags of coffee hang from hooks.

PEPE: Some people like the Colombian, but it all depends on your acidity preference. Me? I prefer East African and Indonesian. You start the day with a Sumatra Boengie or maybe and Ethiopian Sidamo in your cup, you're that much farther ahead than someone drinkin' Cosia Rican or Kona -- you know what I mean?

Niall nods solemnly.

ACROSS THE ROOM

Harry sits at a table with SCURVY, making something that looks like a machete out of a two-by-four. Liam approaches, in full of good-natured farm boy cheer.