Prince des neiges - Part VI

Summary: The Prince from across the sea and the miners manage to catch the evil Queen, but they may be too late to save the Prince of Snow.

......

"Who on earth is that?!" James exclaimed, seeing the stranger chase after his fleeing duplicate. "And why did the both of them look so similar?"

"Gjon!" Blas gasped, getting off the deer and rushing to the Prince's side.

He glanced up at the other three.

"I'll try my best to help him, you three better go after them and try to make sense of what happened!"

The three hesitated, but quickly nodded anyways and continued down the path by which the two figures had gone.

With four pairs of hooves thundering behind, it wasn't long until the intruder was caught up to. As he tried to climb over a rocky ledge, James reached out with a pickaxe and knocked him to the ground.

As they surrounded the figure, the newcomer got off his horse, drawing his sword and pointing it at the other's chest. At the same time, he yanked down the person's hood, revealing the identical face to his own. Jendrik, James and Jeangru similarly held their mining tools as potential weapons.

"Who are you?" The blonde demanded. "And what have you done to Prince Gjon?"

The other him sneered, reaching up to grab a crystal that had been hanging around his neck and crushing it. To everyone's disbelief, the person shifted and changed to a more familiar figure.

"It's the Queen!" Jeangru exclaimed.

"You really did want to get rid of your own son!" Jendrik added, stepping closer with murder written all over his face.

The Queen only smiled wickedly.

"So what? I never cared for the brat." She said. "Now with him gone, all my troubles will be over. I will remain fairest in the land!"

In anger, the stranger gave the Queen a blow to the head with his sword hilt, and she crumbled to the floor.

"Tie her up. We can't have her causing any more trouble." He said. "We should get her back to the Kingdom quickly...whatever she's done, it doesn't appear natural."

James and Jendrik nodded, already binding her arms together.

"We appreciate your help," Jeangru said, approaching the blonde, who had sheathed his sword back into his belt. "But...you are?"

Before he could reply, Jendrik spoke, having been observing him curiously for the past moment.

"Wait...you don't happen to be Prince Damiano, do you?"

"As a matter of fact, yes." Damiano said, surprised. "How did you-"

"A certain other Prince mentioned you." James said, as he hoisted the unconscious woman over his shoulder. "This probably isn't the best of circumstances, but we're all honoured to meet you."

"I don't think anyone of us can afford to bow at this moment either." Jendrik said sheepishly.

"Guys..."

The four turned, seeing Blas heading towards them, carrying Prince Gjon in his arms. His expression was solemn.

"He's not waking up." He said gravely. "I can't even feel a pulse. Whatever was in that apple...might have been fatal."

"No." Jeangru gasped.

Damiano tentatively stepped closer to Blas.

"Can I...?" He held his arms out.