Cold White Mornings

The train journey to the city was quiet hefty and Loki felt very sleepy by the afternoon. He had to wake up at 4 this morning as his train left the station at 5. Loki is always a person who stays up late and wakes up after 9. So last night when sleep didn't come even after he tried a lot, he gave up after 2 am and slowly after that a little bit of dreamless darkness just before his telephone rang.

It was the 80s, and the telephone was in the drawing room, accessible to all. The continous rings woke him up and before his father could complain, he quickly went to pick it.

"Hello. Odinsons" said Loki as he stood in his drawing room in a misty dawn of september, wearing a tee-shirt, shots and his favourite yellow socks.

"Woke up yet sleepyhead?" an electronic voice of a female came from the other side.

Loki's heart felt warm in the cold white morning. He leant on the wall and replied "Woke up, now."

"Come on Loki, you won't get the train if you run late. It's 4 am already!" she said.

"I don't want to catch the train." Loki replied.

"Umm, but it's important right?" she sounded worried.

"It is." he said sniffing back a tear and looking at the drawing room window. The eastern sky was just turning the colour of turquoise as his heart clenched. Every second took him closer to the time he had to board the train. The city first, then a new State, on a different country. Away from this little town, away from everyone, away from Sigyn.

"Loki, are you still there?" Sigyn asked.

"Can I ask you something?" he had asked.

"Anything." she had said holding her phone tightly in her small palms.

"Do you want me to go? To really go?" he had asked her.

"Does it matter? What I want?"

"It does Sigyn it does. Tell me once and I won't go."

"Loki." she had said and paused for a while, "You should go. It's a great opportunity for you. Not all of us get that. This little town needs more people like you."

"Good bye Sigyn." he had said and tried to cut the call when she said something and he got back the phone again, "Yes?" he had asked joyfully, hoping that she had asked him to stay.

"Do you want me to come to the train station?"

But she had not. He was angry at her, at himself. He just couldn't leave her behind. He didn't reply. He was in a dilemma. He can't see her face and just go. Also, her face was the only thing he wanted to see. "No" he finally said.

"It's just two years." she said before he cut the call.

The train reached the city at mid afternoon. And Loki found that the station was wet with the rain that had just stopped a few minutes ago before the train reached there. He took his bags and got down the train. His feet fell on the wet ground and his boots got covered with mud and soil from the platform. There was a rush in the station. City stations are like this he thought. The only station in his town was always empty. Suddenly a thought came to his mind, a memory of a place. The station in his town in a monsoon evening, just like this. Sigyn and him had gone to the neighbouring town for the circus that came there. It was late when they got the last train home. As they reached their station, it was raining heavily and they couldn't go out. So they waited under a tool shed for the rain to stop. That was when he had kissed her for the first time. She hadn't resisted. She had welcomed his touch and kissed back with the same passion. They hadn't kissed after that but for each day of his life since then, he had wanted to kiss her again, in a same rain drenched platform.