Part 21

The next days were all the same, I went to school was asked unnecessary stuff I didn't answer. I met Brooklyn today for the first time. She said she was sick before. I didn't believe her.

I knew it. Because I saw on her Instagram story that she was on the beach with the girl Steve's team was looking for the day I got shot.

She came up to me with a smile on her face. I didn't smile back. "Hey, sorry I wasn't in school the past few days. I wasn't doing pretty well." She hugged me. That's when she noticed the guy next to me still asking questions.

"Curtis, leave her alone. She has nothing to say." At least she protected me from this idiot. "I'm sorry Brooklyn, but Marissa and I, we were just about to become friends." I don't know where this energy came from, but instead of letting Brooklyn answer, did it myself.

"You were talking to me for four days now, and I still didn't know your name till now. Do you think I am befriending you? Damn, you must be pathetic." I put a fake smile on and turned towards Brooklyn.

"You're badass. Anyways, I gotta go to class and afterward I'll meet up with someone. See you later." "See you at lunch, I guess," I murmured.

"She is not a good friend." "I didn't ask for your opinion, Curtis." He scoffed. "And yet, you're talking to me. See, I don't know how you two met but she is not good. I don't know if you know but there was this incident with this girl from this school, I think her name was Lucy, it's her best friend. You ask me, it's Brooklyn's fault that Lucy was kidnapped."

"Why would you think that?" He put his hands up and changed the subject. "Come on, I'll bring you to your next class."

During lunchtime, I called Steve. He would've told me if something was going on with Brooklyn, wouldn't he? "Hey, Marissa, what's up?" "So this guy I know from school told me that Brooklyn wasn't clean. Can you check her up for me?" He breathed out heavily. "Why don't you ask her yourself? She is your friend, you should not be spying on her behind her back."

"Yeah, I know. But she also told me that she was sick the past four days and she was with Lucy at the beach. A week before she promised to accompany me during my first few days. I don't trust her anymore."

"Okay, I'll check up on her. But promise me to not jump random conclusions." "I promise." He hung up.

Curtis came up to me with a concerned expression on his face. "Who were you calling?" "Just my uncle." I fake smiled. "Is your uncle known on the island?" I won't answer this question. I shrugged. "C'mon, you can tell me."

"I don't know. I don't know who's known here." "What's his name?" I thought about it. He probably knew Steve since he asked the whole grade about the disappearance of the girl.

"Why do you want to know it anyway?" He laughed slightly. "I'm just curious." He seemed suspicious. Or I am just paranoid.

What if he wants to kill Steve?

What if he wants to kill me?

What if he is an undercover spy?

What if he's playing me? I mean why should he be interested in something like me?

I am not worth this friendship if that's what you want to call it, anyways.

"Hello, you good?" I saw a hand waving in front of my face. I scanned the room with my eyes and landed on a guy in front of me? Who was he?

Curtis.

What if he wants to kidnap me?

"Yeah, I'm fine. Hey, can you excuse me from the last classes? I'm not feeling very well and I would like to go home." "Yeah, I can do that. If you need anything, here's my number." He just grabbed my phone and typed in his phone number. "Thank you," I stated silently.

I called Steve again. "Hey Marissa, can I call you later? We're on our way to a suspect." I could hear an engine in the background. "I'll call you as soon as there is time and everybody's safe, alright?"

"Okay," I said silently and hung up. Looks like I'm going to walk back home. I stopped my tracks at the principal's office, knocked at the door, and walked in as I was told to do so. "What can I do for you, young lady?"

"Hey, ehm, I'm Marissa and I would like to go home." "Last name?" I didn't know with which last name Steve registered me at this school. Was it my parents' name or his? "Wait, I think I found you. Marissa McGarrett, is that right?" I nodded. "That's correct." Why did he tell them his last name?

"Is there someone to pick you up or do you want to call a parent?" "Someone will pick me up." "Okay, then you're free to go. Please send us an excuse from one of your parents or bring it with you the day you come back." She smiled at me. I just walked out the door.

As soon as I left the campus, I pulled out my phone and opened Google Maps. I tipped in Steve's address and started walking. As long as I don't get lost again, like the two times before, or get shot, it should be fine to him.

When I arrived at his home I directly went to bed and covered my whole body with the blanket. I plugged my headphones in and played a random playlist. Then I just stared at the wall. Suddenly the wall was the most interesting thing in this whole room.

Before I could zone out completely I texted Steve that he didn't need to wait in front of the school for me.

I went home because I didn't feel so good.

Just wanted to let you know.