2 | chuck

Every day is a repetition. You hone yourself,
anything else is too wasteful, wasteful

Exhausted, I sat down on a chair behind the stage.
"Wonwoo-ah", the voice of my best friend makes me look up. "Perfect as always." She sits next to me grinning and just looks forward. "How was your appointment for the music video shoot?"
Sighing, I run my hand through my hair. "It's exhausting. A lot to read, got a thick script and I have to read it again. My two colleagues are very nice from the first impression."
"After all, it will be pleasant to work with them. When do we start?" She stares holes into the air.
"A week on Monday, 10PM."
"10PM? Oh man", she looks at me in fright. "My condolences, you won't be home til 4AM."

After we all changed, Yuri, I and three other friends of the same age decided to go to the nearest bar to start the weekend. We'll place all our orders and start a round of talks.
When the bottle of white wine was placed on the table, I immediately poured myself a glass full.
"You always take the expensive booze", Yuri grins and holds her glass to toast.
"I'm not here to get drunk, I'm here to enjoy the evening", I toast her.
"We all know what happens if you drink too much Soju", Sam also toasts us.
Sam is a handsome young man, half Korean, half British. His hair is almost black, as are his eyes. This makes his skin look a lot paler as it is.
When I first started working at the theatre, I had a pretty hard crush on him. Until I got frightened by him and found out he's had a girlfriend since high school.
"No comment." I take a sip and smile.
Through this squad I really learned how to open up outside of my usual environment. At first I was quite introverted, but on stage I was always able to unfold and fit perfectly into the respective roles.
After Yuri annoyed me and finally managed to persuade me to meet up, I took the four to heart and learned to appreciate them.
"Well, Wonwoo. Tell us about your shoot", Junhui raises an eyebrow.
Sam, Junhui, Yuri and Suzy look at me attentively.
Once again I sip on my glass and then put it down.
"What should I say? The shooting will take place from Monday in a week, today we only had our meeting and I got to know my two colleagues", I look into the glass.
"Then tell us about your colleagues." Suzy slurps on her Long Island Ice Tea.
"The female role. Well, typically Korean. Dark hair, pony, slim and all that." I shake my shoulders. "I just think it's extraordinary that she's already married."
"It's not really that extraordinary. There are more than enough young women who get married early, simply because they want to start a family early", Yuri says.
I look at her for a moment and nod slowly.
"The other male role, well. Also dark-haired, big and more on the strongly built side, I don't know that much, did not really enter into conversation."
"Aha! So someone who's shy, too. Just the right thing for you", Sam grins and drinks a big sip.
"Sam, that's not funny", I hit him on the shoulder and then drank a big sip as well.
"You finally need a boyfriend again!", Yuri points at me.
I roll my eyes and sip on the wine.
„Well, you know. It's not that easy to find a gay man.", I point out and chuck the wine.
I was just about to grab the bottle of wine when Sam cut me in.
"Maybe you should go to one of those bars."
I just ignore this statement and pour myself another glass.
It pisses me off.
"Wonwoo... We're just trying to help you. You once told me when your last serious relationship was.", Yuri puts her hand on my shoulder.
Sighing, I put the bottle back in the middle of the table. "I know, but I'm just baffled how to do it. It was much easier in university, because you were constantly meeting new people. Now it's not that easy in normal professional life."
"I know what", Suzy puts down her glass and takes out her cell phone. "I'm looking for a dating app that supports LGBTQ+."
"Oh, no.", Frustrated, I place my head on the table.
"Aha!", Suzy gives Junhui her phone.
"Looks serious." ,He gives the phone to Yuri.
"You have enough experience with these apps", she laughs.
"Give me your phone Wonwoo.", I groaned and sat down properly.
I know I'd have no chance and gave Yuri my phone.
"Why did I even registered your fingerprint?", I take the glass offended and lean back in the chair.
Furthermore, Yuri and Junhui are working around with my mobile phone and apparently creating a profile for me.
"Profile picture, cute or sexy?" Yuri looks at Junhui intently. It looks like the two are communicating via thoughts. "Definitely cute."
"Yah"., I lean forward and take the phone out of my hand.
"Hey, we're not done yet", Junhui wants to pick up the phone again.
"From here I'll go on my own", my gaze falls on the small screen.

~In the Dating-App~

Wonwoo, 25

Actor at Chungmu Arts Center

📏6'0"
🏋️regularly
🎓Bachelor of Performing Arts
🍷in company
♋️ cancer

📏6'0"🏋️regularly🎓Bachelor of Performing Arts🍷in company♋️ cancer

After work you can find me...
Relaxing with a cup of tea and a nice book

I'm still not over...
That you haven't yet swiped to the right

In the last sentence, I open my mouth and look at Junhui and Yuri. "Guys. That's too much", I'm rubbing my forehead with great effort.
"Leave that in.", Yuri's taking the phone again. "A little humor won't hurt you."
"What's that supposed to mean?" I give her an obvious glance.
"So, profile online.", She totally ignores the question and gives me the phone back. "If you remove the profile, you'll get stress with me."
Sighing, I look one last time at the screen and then put it away. "You're really killing me", Emptying the bottle.