Chapter 5

Batman glanced at the woman in his passenger seat, noticing that she had passed out. Good, she needed the sleep. The man looked back at the road, his mouth set in a thin line.

Bruce had been happy for Harleen when he saw she had gotten a job. While the law part of him knew she should be in Arkham serving time, the other part knew that could just make things worse. Maybe a  entirely clean slate would be better. So he did nothing except offer his support.

But then he heard of a Joker sighting near the restaurant Harleen worked at.

He finally pulled into the underground entrance that led to the bat cave. Once he parked, he got out and walked around to the other side. Harleen was really out of it now, she barely moved as he carefully picked her up bridal style and carried her to the elevator. Once he got to the mansion, he found his own room and the guest room closest to it.

He carefully tucked the woman into the bed, making sure the room was dark before closing the door.

He had to tell Alfred about this before he found Harley on his own.

————
Joker threw his bedroom door open, his eyes blazing as he stomped to the closet and threw it open. Harley's outfits were hanging on the rail, and he ripped them all off into a heap on the ground. On the dresser was her makeup, lined up on one side. He slid his arm and dumped them all into a garbage bin, some of the bottles shattering on impact. When it caused Harley's perfume scent to float up into the air, it just made him more angry. Her undergarments were dumped into the clothes pile, her weapons and bat thrown to the ground. Once everything was strewn on the floor, the clown jerked to glare at the walls.

Harley's drawings were always in red and mixed with his own. Pictures of her and him holding hands and kissing, them killing people, words in big letters...

And on her side of the bed above the nightstand was a crude drawing of himself with a huge grin. And above it was a speech bubble with words inside that read "night night, Harley girl!"

Joker didn't really know when he moved, but next thing he knew he was slamming his arms against the wall and scrubbing at the picture with his sleeves. Spitting onto his hand, he scrubbed the wall until his hands were red and raw. He finally stopped when blood started trickling down his fingers. The picture had blurred into a big red spot, though he could still see the faint outline of the original marker lines. And the words were still visible, mocking him with his own words he had said to her many times. She must've written that for the nights he wasn't here. He never noticed it. He didn't know how long it had been there.

Looking around the room, he saw everything reminded him of Harley. Even his own things; his jackets still hung in the closet, where she hung them if he didn't. His weapons hung on the wall, the spaces where he took off hers prominent. His plans, Harley always trying to distract him from them to spend time with her...

No! Joker didn't hesitate to slap himself out of his daze. That blonde ditz was endlessly annoying, always distracting him from his goals of defeating Batman! He didn't need her! He could continue without her, and forget about her within a week.

Leaving the room in its messy state, he stomped out. He would forget about Harley by tomorrow, he was sure of it.

————
Next chapter will be longer, bye!