Chapter 4

Switching the third person

Joker growled as he ducked into an alley, nursing a bloody lip and black eye from two well-timed punches by the bat. He had managed to escape thanks to a gas bomb and cardio. But in the chaos, he had lost sight of Harley and now had no idea where she was.

He growled lightly. He didn't want to go home empty handed, the hyenas still wondering where their 'mommy' was. His Harley has looked terrible! No pale white makeup, her hair just in a drab ponytail, her clothes consisting of a t-shirt and jeans. It did nothing for her frame, and looked so modest! It was terrible!

Hearing a car pull up, he looked to see his henchmen with his van. Ignoring them, he climbed in the back and stayed icily silent the whole ride back.

————————
Harley stayed in the bathroom for a good hour, not daring to go outside until she was sure it was safe. When it was silent, she quietly unlocked the stall and pushed open the door.

"Gah!" She squeaked when she almost walked into Batman. The man was standing right outside, waiting for her this whole dang time.

"At least you're polite enough not to go into a women's bathroom." Harley said. "Can I help you, Batman?"

The caped crusader was quiet for a second before speaking. "I know you know who I am, Quinn."

Harley felt her heart drop to her feet. Her hand that still held the door handle turned bone white.

"W-What makes you say that?" She stuttered.

"You tried to rob Wayne Tech two years ago for reasons unexplained. You were able to successfully hack into Bruce Wayne's security network and found certain files with blueprints and notes for the Batmobile and weapons."

"Uh, well, I, uh..." Harley sputtered, for once unable to talk her way out of it.

"What I want to know is if Joker knows."

Harley looked up at Batman, and thought for a second she saw worry cross his eyes. Like he was genuinely concerned that his cover was blown.

"No." She said, shaking her head. Maybe it was just her, but Batman seemed to visibly relax at that. Sure, he might not believe her, but it was the truth. She was not a criminal anymore, so she will stop acting like one.

"Why?"

Once again her eyes went up to the dark knight of Gotham. "What?" She practically whispered.

"Why didn't you tell him? Why keep it a secret?"

Harley rocked on her feet, suddenly finding the wall behind Batman very interesting. She flinched when a black gloved hand was put on her shoulder, and looked back up at the vigilante.

"Harleen, tell me. Why?"

Harley swallowed before finally talking. "He-he wouldn't want to know. I wanted to tell him, but he doesn't want to know who you are. He likes the game, playing with you. If he knew who you where, it would take all the fun out of it."

Batman was quiet for a moment, searching her face to see that she believed what she was saying. Finally, he met her eyes again.

"Harleen, you can't go back to wherever you're staying. Joker will find you eventually. Leave Gotham, start over somewhere else."

Harley hiccuped, tears slowly gathering in her eyes. "I-I don't have anywhere else to go. My family lives here and they hate me, I don't have any friends that can help, I can't do anything!"

All the feelings she had been surpassing since she left Joker were now spewing out of her. Her legs weakened and she wound up clinging to the Batman, tears streaming down her face.

"I can't go anywhere. No one wants me, no one even likes me! Ivy probably doesn't even like me either, I'm so annoying to her! I can't ever do anything right! Mister J was right, I'm useless. Just useless..."

Harley continued to cry out her degrading words and sobs against the masked man, clinging to his arms and leaning against his chest. Batman was quiet, letting the woman flush out every negative thing. His arms slowly went around her back, keeping her steady.

"Harleen, it's going to be okay." He tried to say.

Harley sniffled, barely conscious of her actions. "No, it's not. I don't belong anywhere, I'm not safe anywhere..." she mumbled.

Batman slowly picked the crying woman up bridal style, letting her hide against his chest. He walked out of the store to where the Batmobile was waiting.

Harley felt him out her down in the seat and her eyes widened. "No. No, no, no!" She cried hysterically, clinging to Batman's hands. "Don't send me back to Arkham, please! I'm trying to be good, I'm really trying! Please, don't send me there!"

"Shh..." Batman said quietly, gently prying the woman's hands off his armor. "I'm not sending you to Arkham, Harleen. I'm taking you somewhere else. You'll be safe there."

Harley whimpered, hugging herself as Batman closed the door and went around to the drivers seat. The Batmobile pulled out and drove off, to where the young woman had no idea.

Harley gradually relaxed, though she still hugged herself. Her tears slowly dried up and her eyelids grew heavy. The adrenaline from before was fading, replaced with exhaustion.

Slowly Harley Quinn fell asleep, just as the Batmobile pulled up to its destination.