Chapter 2

Joker shot up from his chair.

"Harley?" He asked, expecting her to be there.

Instead, he was met with silence. He checked his watch. 9:36 A.M. She should have definitely been back by now.

He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes, then stomped toward the door. He had had it! Harley was going to pay for making him worry and wait this long. He knew exactly were she would be.

Ivy's apartment.

————
He pulled up in front of the building. Leaving his car in front, he ran up the stairs. He could tell which one was Ivy's room from the amount of weeds growing around the door hinges and cracks. He pounded on the door.

"Harley Quinn! I know you're in there, you little brat!" He yelled.

The door swung open to reveal Poison Ivy, with a large scowl on her face. "Beat it Joker." She said, then went to slam the door. But he shoved it back open with his hand and walked in. His eyes instantly went to Harley's costume lying on the floor. He picked it up. It still smelled faintly of her perfume. Had Ivy hurt his little loon? "Where is she?" He asked. Ivy picked up her water from the table. "You can forget it. She's not here.". Joker slapped the bottle out of her hand, spilling it all over the floor. He would have laughed, or at least smirked, but his mind was too focused on Harley.

Harley.

"Where is she, then?" He repeated, ready to pull out his gun.

Ivy glared at him. "She left. Said she was done being Harley Quinn. She was gonna go back to being Harleen Quinzel. She left to go find a job and start her own life again. Congrats, Clown. You finally broke her."

Joker was so shocked, he didn't even feel Ivy shove him out the door and slam it. Harley was gone? She didn't love him anymore? He looked down at her costume, still clutched in his hands.

He instantly ran down the stairs and got back in his car.

No! She was his creation. He made her! She was his, and he was gonna get her back.

He had to find his little loon.

————
Harleen sat in front of the desk, trying to pull off a normal smile. She had on a white blouse with shorts. Her face was clear of makeup except some natural blush. She knew her skin still had a pale tint, but tried to ignore it.

She was currently applying for a job. Waitressing looked like an easy start. Harleen had some experience in that area, and she could work long hours, so she could keep her mind off Pud-

Joker.

Anyway, the lady was reading her resume. She had on glasses and looked very serious. "Well, Harleen, I don't know. How can I be sure you won't go bad again?" The lady asked. Harleen giggled lightly. "Don't worry. I don't have any more feelings for... Joker. I'm past that." She said, trying to convince herself it was true.

The lady finally stood up and offered her hand. "Ok, then. You got the job. You can start tomorrow."

Harleen jumped up. "Yippee!" She exclaimed as she shook the hand. She left feeling like a million bucks. She did it! Her own job. She walked down the sidewalk, toward the apartment she rented.

————
She unlocked the door and got in, quickly locking it behind her. Couldn't risk anyone breaking in.

The room looked drab and bare, but Harleen didn't really mind. She was just staying here until she had more of a handle on her life. She dropped her keys on the counter and sat down on the couch. The only thing she really had was one of her favorite books, Nerds. It was a kids book, and she always loved reading it. From the cool gadgets to the characters, Harleen had read the fifth book so many times the spine was starting to wear down. She grabbed it from Ivy's right before she left.

She flipped it open and started reading again.
————
Harleen was instantly up the next day and ready to go to work. She slipped on a AC DC shirt and jeans. Her hair was brushed and pulled back into a messy bun.
————
Harleen was handed a uniform and sent to the bathroom to change. It consisted of a light blue short dress with a white apron, and blue gloves.

She stepped out of the stall and faced the big mirror. This was it. A fresh start. She pulled her purse off her shoulder and pulled out a lipstick. Leaning forward, she applied a thin coat in her lips. She put it away and looked at herself in the mirror.

The Joker was standing right behind her, an evil smile on her face.

She screamed and spun around. She was alone. Nothing was there. She bent over the sink and ran cold water through her fingers, splashing it on her face. She didn't bother looking at the mirror, and left.

————
Harleen spent the next three hours serving food. She got used to balancing trays on her arms and remembering the table number. Only once did she serve the wrong table, but then fixed it. It was honestly not that bad.

Harleen skipped over to a new table, and pulled out her pad. "Alright. What can I getcha?" She asked, mentally slapping herself for using her accent. "Hi. I'd like some- Harley?" A voice said. Harleen looked up to see a man sitting at the table. She instantly recognized him.

"Bruce Wayne! Hi, how have you been?" She asked. She had met him before, mainly when her and Ivy forced him to pay for their Christmas shopping spree. But she liked him and thought of him as a friend. "I'm doing good. What are you doing here?" He asked, smiling a little at her. "Oh, didn't you hear? I'm back to being Harleen Quinzel.". Bruce looked shocked for a second, but shook it off. "Well, congratulations then. I'll have a plate of fries and a burger.". Harleen jotted it down. "Gotcha!" She said, and headed off. Bruce smiled as she left.

She served him and got back to other tables. When she came back thirty minutes later, she found the table empty. Two twenty's in a paper clip were by the check, along with a note.

The second twenty is for you. Congrats on the turnaround.

             -Bruce

Harleen giggled and pocketed the twenty and note.

————
It wasn't till 3:00 in the afternoon when her shift ended. She then changed back into her normal clothes and headed out.

The streets were busy as usual. Harleen weaves and turned through people, until finally it started to die down. She kept walking, hearing the click of her boots. Suddenly, a voice came out from in front of her.

"Harley?"

She looked up.