Like a bird

Ah......"
It feels good to take a deep breath out of this place. I'm done with brown stained walls , soggy tasteless food and wearing white clothes that smell like bleach everyday.
I'm finally free.
While having my rejoicing moment Candy Claire walks up holding up a deck of papers.
" Have you gotten all you need"
"Yep"
"You called your mom right"
"Yep"
"What about —-"
"I got everything I need, no need for more questions".
Candy Claire got her nickname cause she was different from every other nurse you could meet in this building. She really loved her job even though I doubt she's paid enough for it and she does a better job than the hired physiatrists in making us 'normal' again. She always seemed to be happy with her huge cheeks pumping out whenever she smiled, and her jolly walk she did everyday down the hall to check up on us. There are times I caught her staring out at the other side of the fence and I wondered if she wishes she could've been somewhere else other than locked up with psycho teens all day, but I never had the courage to ask her.

I could still see her waving from the rear view mirror of my moms car as I drove down the road. I missed my mom so much and seeing her here right now just made me wish I could go back to the center.
We hadn't spoke at all the whole ride other than tiny glances at each other hoping one would start a conversation.
" You're staying with your uncle" she says stopping the car by the bus stop.
Just as I was about to say something to protest she tossed a rolled up stack of cash and a burner phone .
" Call if you need any more and treat your uncle well" she added without looking at me at all. I don't think she had looked at me the whole ride or even during our visiting hours for the past 3 years , but I'm sure it was before that.

"Mom I just wanted to say sorry for anything I did"
She pulled out a cigarette and was struggling to switch on her lighter. Her fingers were now skinnier and even her whole body ,but it was hard to see with the huge sweater she was wearing. Her skin seems paler , I remember when it used to shine a rich brown and it always glowed in the sun as we had picnics in the sun. I've never seen that side of her since dad died , and I don't think it's coming back.

She drove off the second I got off the car and then already I'm disowned. I thought of calling Candy Claire but I don't really wanna go back in there. There's no way I'm going back to my Drunken Dick ( my uncle) .
He got that nickname because the whole year I stayed in there I've never seen him sober . I spent half the time taking care of myself and avoiding him as much as possible. My cousins Ada and Eli have a place not too far away from here , I just hope they haven't moved.
The bus ride wasn't terrible , other than the random people staring at the bandages on my arms .Gosh I wish I wore a sweater. I had to keep making stops and asking the people for the Finley's house, which was hopeless because everyone here looked high or drunk. I tried remembering how their apartment building looked to this old lady who looked like she's done with life. She pointed her frail finger at a building right across from us which looked quite accurate to my description .
I entered to the reception area and couldn't find anyone by the glass. I guess they are at their lunch break. Right as I was turning for a seat I hear a sharp voice saying
"What can I help you with today"
I took a few steps closer to the glass and see a tiny old lady sitting on a spinning chair. It took a few seconds for my voice to adjust to what i wanted to say
"I'm looking for the Finley's house?"
"They moved out!"
She was so loud. Which was weird coming from a lady who looks like she's late to the cemetery.
"I could give them their numbers to their new place"
"Oh thanks"

I dialed the numbers really quick hoping they'll pick up. I looked up for a second and caught the lady rising up to catch a glimpse of my bandaged arms and that's when I saw my queue . Ada picked up the call and his voice sounded way more masculine than how it was and that almost made me not recognize him.
" Hey Ada, it's Alex"
The phone went silent for a while and I almost thought my burner was already done , till he responded a second later.
"Alex?!"
"Yeah?"
"Where are you right now?!"
I don't know why he was screaming
"I'm at your old apartment and-"
"You're already out?"
"Yeah and I was looking for you guys"
He gave me the address and the right bus to take. When I got to the neighborhood I was taken aback by the style of the neighborhood.
It looked more like a neighborhood where every married couple had two kids which are both male and female ,they own a golden retriever dog and a family car that has been running as long as the family.Quite basic for Ada and Eli.

Their house looked emo compared to the surrounding houses. Ada opened the door right after the second knock and just stood there staring at me with bright welcoming smile .
"You freaked me out ,you do know that right?" He says while leading me through the hallway. I already knew what he meant by that.
The walls have pictures of them as kids but I can't see Drunken Dick in any of them. Maybe they did really cut him out of their lives. Eli is asleep on the couch and he looks bulkier than when I left him and he has now has tattoos all over his neck which is weird considering he was always the skinny one who was scared of his own shadow.
"Your room is the first one on the left upstairs" Ada says heading for the kitchen.
I wonder how they managed to get this house, it's soo huge or maybe I'm just used to my moms compact apartment.
The guest room kinda looked like my room in the hospital minus the TV and closet. I can't really stay long at their place. Eli and Ada have already done enough for me , I don't want to be another burden. I remember every time Drunken Dick almost smashed my head off they were always there to defend me. Even on the night of the incident ,they took me to the hospital and told my mom. I owe them the world.

Ada was called for dinner while I was packing in my stuff and Gosh did it smell amazing. I didn't even know he could cook. When I got downstairs Eli was up and setting up the table.
"Would you look who it is" He says coming in for a hug. I caught his eyes glancing at my arms for a second before he stepped forward.
"How have you been little sis?"
"I'm great" I answered pulling away from him.
"Does your mom know you're out"
"Yeah" I didn't have to add more to that statement cause they already knew my relationship with my mom.

While eating I couldn't help but wonder how my cousins grew up to own their own house ,so I just brought it up. "I'm taking over mom's restaurant, and it's been doing pretty well". I noticed Eli didn't show any interest in answering the question so I didn't ask any further.
After washing up for dinner I went out to the balcony of the house and found Ada standing wrapped up in a blanket.
"Don't leave , I'm almost done" he says that as I turn to leave.
" what are you thinking about?" I ask to break the silence
"You really scared me that night" he focuses on my face
I suddenly felt sorry for him. He had to deal with a problem like me.
"I'm sorry" I mutter
"It's not your fault , we should've gotten you out of that house before anything got worse. I'm sorry"

"It's okay now that everything is over" I try to brighten the mood
"So what are you planning on , school? Or college?"
"Well I'm seventeen so school is a No , but I think I might just get a job somewhere"
"Why not just work in the restaurant, I could get you a spot"
"No I'm okay, I wanna do this on my own"
He shrugs. "Okay then"
We spend the rest of the moments in silence.