Chapter 4

The man showing me my apartment had a huge bald spot behind his head and his hair was barely hanging off of the rest of his head.
The apartment Eli offered looked really well kept  though it wasn't too expensive. I entered the bathroom to check out the tiling , leaving the man in the living room.
I slowly feel a hand rubbing on my torso and quickly turn around to find  the apartment man grinning at me with yellow teeth.
"Perv!" I shout pushing past him and running out the room.
"Can't wait for you to join the building!" He shouts from behind.
I guess Eli's idea isn't gonna work out. I'll have to find a way to find another place for myself.
Back at home I continue searching for more apartments. After almost an hour the most suitable one I could find just a bus ride away from the restaurant. I grab my stuff and jolt out the door.
While walking towards the building I could imagine how proud Eli and Ada would be that I found my own apartment. The building had an awful stench right at the door way and the hallways had scattered litter around it. The person showing me the apartment was an old woman, almost to retirement I guess. She looked drained, something I wouldn't find surprising considering the state of the building.
The room was quite small and the view from the window was a brick wall. The sink pipe was dripping into a small bucket below it.
"We'll call a plumber fo ya before you move in" she says watching me glance at the sink.
"Thank you"
"The rent is J$100 every month" she mentions while leaving.
The kitchen wasn't much. There was a microwave ,oven, stove and fridge. Not too bad. I keep analyzing the building till I hear knock.
"Are you actually paying?" The woman shouts from outside. I guess it was my call to leave the building.
I wasn't very proud of my searching but it was great for a start, I'll just find a better place when I get more money. On the bus ride back the one thought I was clogging behind my brain kept ringing. Am I going to live like this forever? Working in a restaurant and living in apartments. It's not exactly the life I had planned out for myself in high school. I wanted normal house with a dog and a cat and I spend my days drawing and writing. But that was all before I decided life wasn't worth living.