Disenchanting Twelve

After a few days, the group had arrived at Kyoto and before Megumi could go anywhere, Azumi and Mamoru dragged her around with them to do some errands and pass along messages between people. Megumi was quite upset about that since she had intended to go to the Shinsengumi directly. Everyone in the group kept her busy and prevented her from having a chance to slip away. Ryuuji and Kaguya told her that it could not be helped. She would have to wait.

Of course, they disguised her a little. Her hair was neatly arranged and she was provided with casual girl clothing. It was quite different from her fancy kimono she had received from Kondou. The colours of this one were a palette of pastel colours, with the pink being most obvious. It was sakura-patterned.

"How fashionable." Azumi told her with a smirk. "Spring is about cherry blossoms afterall."

And it was true. The cherry blossoms were blooming and flower petals were everywhere. There was a light and cheerful atmosphere across the city and this relieved Megumi a little. It looked the same as last year and the memories of the special day that she was taken to the Shinsengumi resurfaced; the incident at the dango shop... Bumping into Okita... It left a melancholic taste in her mouth and she gulped it down.

During the day, she was provided with boy clothing since they had no other kunoichi clothing. Though she had brought the kimono Kondou had gifted to her...

Azumi and Kaguya were rather speedy, like ninjas. Seeing Kaguya in her kunoichi clothing reminded Megumi of the past New Years and how they had fought in the snow. Mibu was full of memories. It was very pleasant, and very sad at the same time. She would not be able to stay that is why...

Therefore, after three days of being restricted in movement and appearance, Megumi found herself in company of Ryuuji one night. He had been chosen to keep an eye on her while the others were out for their mission. When he was done polishing his sword, Ryuuji took Megumi's hand and helped her get up after she had had a bath.

She looked at him. She was wondering what he was going to do but he remained still with a little smile while holding her hand and staring at her in the eyes.

Finally she spoke, "What?"

He chuckled. "I could watch you all day."

"Huh?"

"I am intrigued by you, Megu-hime." He said. Somehow he seemed a little sad. "I believe you really are a mysterious lady."

"A-Are you... Why are you saying all of this? And what's with the new nickname?" Megumi asked as she slipped her hand away and took a short step back.

His smile disappeared. He sighed. The sadness was more apparent then. "This whole Oni business tires me out so forgive me if I scare you with my sudden interest to a new member of the clan."

"I don't really mind..." She told him. "Just don't grab my hand like that all of a sudden..."

"I tried being gentle though." A charming smile made Megumi's heart skip a beat. "Oni girls are valued since there are much less than boys. Don't you think it is funny that in foreign lands, women are often opressed? Actually, even here... Just because they are a little weaker physically."

"What brought that on?"

"I was only thinking... It's good that Kaguya was born an Oni... and you too. It's thanks to that that you have been able to survive up till now, don't you think?"

Megumi remembered all the times she had felt the rush of adrenaline and fury in the past, which often led to a person's death. She shook her head and shrugged the memories off and sighed.

"I cannot disagree..." She muttered.

"Do you dislike being an Oni?" Ryuuji asked. "Because sometimes I do, and sometimes I feel thankful."