At the Eleventh Hour

It had been just a little more than a month that Megumi had been at the dojo of Tsukishima. And after accepting to be of an aid for the latter's plan, Megumi had undergone severe and intense training to become a proper lady. Between lessons of etiquette and adequate behaviour, Megumi found time to hang out with Takumi and to play with Momoka.

However deepening her relationship with Souta was a more tedious task. It seemed that her younger brother found no interest in playing with others or even interacting with them. He had a lot of pride and was constantly avoiding her eyes. He was also quite resilient in letting Momoka be with Megumi.

The fact that he was ignoring and avoiding Megumi was not even bothering her anymore. She felt a little bad that she had failed to get closer to him but this only made her work harder at her lessons. If she wanted him to ever accept her, she would need to make him realise that she was more than a simple girl who happened to be his sister.

Then one day of especially hot weather, she sat on the porch with Takumi. They were supposed to train the younger Oni at swordplay but it felt impossible with the scorching heat. Beads of sweat ran down her neck and face as she sighed heavily.

"Woah, I never thought it could be so hot..." Megumi muttered.

"Yeah. But it happens from time to time during spring." Takumi told her. He gestured at the kids who were waiting inside the training room to tell them to leave.

The kids seemed rather happy that there would be no training and the scampered to other parts of the compound.

"Tsukishima-san asked me to report to her any progress about Souta and you but seriously, most of the times I have nothing to report."

Megumi chuckled. She looked at the cherry blossom tree in the yard and said, "That tree never blooms?"

Takumi followed her eyes and replied, "Yeah, it never blooms. No idea why, it looks pretty healthy to me."

"Maybe it loves its green leaves?" Megumi joked. Then she smiled sadly and said, "It never blooms..."

Her thoughts fluttered to Okita and the Shinsengumi. She was scared by the simple idea of forgetting about them so the memories and wishful scenarios she had hoped to live with them came back from time to time. But Takumi interrupted her daydream.

"That tree is like the relationship between your brother and you." He said. "It never flourishes. It stays the same, and loses its leaves during autumn. That's the only time it is different."

Megumi looked surprised by the analogy. It was impressive how Takumi had been spot on about the matter. She thought about for a moment and then spoke.

"Ta-kun, do you think that if I was to manage building a firm relationship with Souta, it would be as beautiful as a cherry blossom blooming?"

"Perhaps." Takumi only said.

"Do we have a peach tree here?" She then asked, thinking about Momoka. [Momo is peach in Japanese.]

Takumi laughed. "Yeah in the garden in front of Tsukishima-san's room. She said that the previous owners used to make peach saké. But I never saw it give fruit."

[Saké is rice wine.]

"Who were the previous owners?" She asked curiously.

But then Tsukishima herself appeared behind the two and said, "Some of my husband's friends. But they moved to the north so they kindly gave it to my beloved."

Megumi flinched at the sight of Tsukishima. Takumi stood up and bowed.

"Good day, Tsukishima-san." He flashed a smile, "How are you?"