Chapter Four

"What's this?"

Damian swore under his breath as he watched his eldest sibling stride into his penthouse as if he owned it. Dick immediately went into the kitchen, taking the lid off the box from Raven's bakery. Swearing under his breath, Damian seriously considered taking away Dick's key. Out of his entire family, Dick was the one he tolerated the most and was the only one - besides Alfred - who had a key to his home. But Dick could still find a million ways to irritate him, and being in Damian's flat unannounced and at the crack of dawn was definitely one of them.

Damian gave an exasperated sigh as he walked towards the kitchen. "Cake. It's leftover from my tasting yesterday." He fidgeted with the buttons on the cuffs of his shirt. "Is there a reason you're here at an ungodly time in the morning, Grayson?"

"I just got off a late shift at the precinct and thought I'd stop by for coffee." He glanced down into the cake slices and smirked. "And cake for breakfast."

"Healthy." Damian rolled his eyes, but went to his machine and started to brew coffee anyway.

Dick shrugged. "Besides, Dami-"

Damian grimaced at the insufferable nickname.

"-you're awake as well. Having problems sleeping again?" Dick was gentle with the question, knowing that Damian could be testy when discussing his sleeping habits.

"No." Damian lied. "I got up early and worked out this morning, like I do every morning. Instead of just drinking coffee and eating cake for breakfast." He turned and looked at Dick, his lips tugging down in a frown. He wasn't here for just an early morning chat, and Damian knew that Dick must have been talking to Drake. Annoying. His brothers were like a bunch of old biddies. "Is there something you needed to discuss?"

"No." Dick tried to look innocent, but Damian knew better. "Can't a big brother come and see his little brother on occasion and steal his good coffee without an ulterior motive?"

"When it comes to you? No." He crossed his arms over his chest and let go of a low growl. "What do you want?"

"Nothing in particular. Really." Dick hummed to himself and grabbed a fork before sitting down at the counter. "Just wanted to check in and see how things have been going with the wedding planning."

"Fine. Although I am guessing you already know that." Damian's jaw ticked and he turned away from Dick, grabbing two mugs from the cabinet. "Are you going to give me some valiant speech about how I should marry for love too?" He turned back around and fixed a dead stare at Dick's face. "How I shouldn't just go ahead with what father tells me? Because you're not the first person to mention it, and I have to say it's getting tiring to hear it."

"Ah. Well, I see Tim got to you first." Dick stabbed the slice of red velvet and lifted his eyes to Damian's face. "I'm sure you're just fine then. No second-guessing. No worries. No concerns. Everything is just peachy-keen."

Damian continued to glare at him. "I don't have any worries or concerns. And if you keep that attitude up, I will revoke your key and your coffee privileges."

"Hey. I'm not here to pick a fight." Dick held up his free hand in surrender. "I am just checking to make sure that this is something you really want and you're ready to go through with this." He shoved the forkful of cake into his mouth, and Damian watched his eyes light up. Swallowing slowly, Dick looked back down into the box of cake slices and took another bite of the red velvet slice. "Where is this from? It's amazing."

"A Song of Sixpence." Damian said, reaching out to take the box back before Dick ate the rest of it. "It's the bakery Emiko said we should use for our cake. And I didn't offer any to you for the sole reason you will eat all of it."