Chapter 3

Lets just say that I stayed at that party until three o'clock in the morning. I usually don't stay up that late, but Sylvia made me stay and I did have a good time talking to Johnny. He tried to get me to dance with him, but I refused since I'm a terrible dancer.

I woke up the next morning in shambles. My ginger colored hair was tangled and stuck to my half-wiped off lip gloss. Mascara had traveled to underneath my eyes, and I had huge bags. I looked like crap to say the least. 

But there was a pleasant surprise when I woke up. Actually two surprises. The first was that Sylvia was gone, probably with the guy she met last night. The second was my phone. I usually didn't get emails from my phone, but my Iphone beeped, signalling that I had gotten an email. I checked it, and was shocked at the letter that was sent.

Dear Elonza Beckers,

We thank you for your application that was sent to Von Doom Industries. We have assessed your skill, experience, and references, and concluded that you are the perfect fit for the Mission 46, our mission to space. The exploration will begin on April 25, and end on May 1. You must be ready for take off and at the NASA terminal at precisely 8:00 a.m., with your belongings packed for the week. We will provide your space suit, which you will be required to wear at all times. We hope you are looking forward to the trip.

- Sincerely, Reed Richards, lead scientist

I was speechless as I read the email. I had won. I had won the spot for the mission to space. This is all I have ever wanted in my life. And it was probably all thanks to Johnny. After all, the letter did say that it assessed my 'references'. I was in his complete debt, since this trip meant everything to me. 

I shut off my phone, getting out of bed and getting ready for the day. I only had a week to pack, and I didn't want to overpack. I pulled out some yoga pants and a purple tank top, slipping them on and pulling my hair up into a messy bun. I grabbed an apple from the fridge and took a big bite, quenching my morning hunger. Just as I was about to take a well-needed shower, my phone started ringing. I didn't recognize the number, but I answered it anyway.

"Hello?"

"Hey! It's Johnny!"

"Oh, hi Johnny." I yawned. 

"You see, I was thinking, because naturally I don't stop thinking. And this time I was thinking about something different." he rambled.

"And what would that be." I asked.

"You. I was thinking that you could meet me somewhere today." he replied smoothly. 

"Johnny I-"

"I thought that we could go to the mountains, maybe ski or snowboard or something like that." he explained.

"I don't think I can go today. I have a lot of packing to do for the trip." I sighed, pulling out a duffle bag from under my bed. "But maybe you can come by after I'm back from the trip, or even maybe before I leave." I suggested.

"I can't come before, I'm actually leaving myself earlier than you are."

"Where are you going?"

"I'll tell you when I get back. But until then, I won't be able to stop thinking about you!" he whined. 

"Fine fine fine. But I am not going skiing or snowboarding. I don't do anything in the snow that starts with the letter 's.'" I explained. 

"Whatever. Meet me right outside of campus at 12:00." he said, hanging up the phone. 

I looked over at the clock, realizing that it was already 11:47 and I only had roughly ten minutes to look like a normal human being again. 

I rushed to the closet, pulling out a pair of skinny jeans and my Captain America t-shirt. I brushed my hair and braided it so that it was hanging on one side of my shoulder. I wiped the mascara off from under my eyes and aplied chapstick to my dry lips. After five minutes of rushing, I was presentable enough to see Johnny. 

I walked down to the campus gate, where I awaited his arrival. He pulled up in a Harley Davidson motorcylce, dressed in dark wash jeans, a leather jacket, and ray ban sunglasses. He motioned for me to get on the back of the motorcylce, but I shook my head. I really didn't like the idea of being out on the open road with no real protection. He rolled his eyes behind his sunglasses, parking the vehicle and walking over to me.

"So, you don't like motorcycles?" he huffed. I shook my head, staring up into his light blue eyes. "Well, where do you want to go?"

"I don't know... maybe that cafe down the street from here?" I suggested. 

"Sure. But how do you plan on getting there?" he questioned. 

"We shall walk. That's how I get everywhere." I replied, smiling a tiny smile of victory as he hung his head back, obviously not prepared to walk.

"Is that why you're so skinny?" he raised one eyebrow eyeing me up and down. I pulled my top up, getting uncomfortable at his dirty stare. 

"I suppose. Now we really should get going if we plan on getting lunch."