Some Kind Of Letter

April slowly blossomed into May, and May bloomed into June. The flowers had burst, the bees were buzzing, and there was a sense of happy energy for the 6 united BTS members. Taehyung- somehow- was enjoying himself. He didn't trust that this elation would last very long, but he tired to stay in the moment. It was Friday, after work hours, and he invited all the members over for dinner. They were working on finishing up letters they were preparing for ARMY, to be included in the next album package. Together they all enjoyed the early summer sunset, eating and drinking and writing their notes.

"What about Jungkookie's letter?" Jin piped up, breaking the quiet. "How are we going to get him to include one? We should've asked him to write something before he left." Namjoon chuckled. "We weren't even working on this album yet Jin-Hyung. Don't worry, we're trying to get a message to him. He'll have to write it by hand and have it mailed out to us. That is, if we can get special permission. Bang is working on it." Hoseok added, "good, we can't leave him out. We all know he would cry if he knew he missed an opportunity to tell ARMY how much he loves them."

Taehyung had stopped writing, and was lost in thought. A letter. He had never considered a letter. There was so much he needed to say to Jungkook, so much that was weighing him down. He wondered if there was a way he could get his own note to him. But how could he do that without anyone prying? He'd have to go through company administration, and they'd probably have to approve what was written. Taehyung wouldn't allow anyone into these deep depths of his and Jungkook's ... he was still hesitant to call it a relationship. 'Fuck it. That's exactly what it was. A relationship. Of some kind.'

...

Sunday night Jungkook was on patrol. He had the graveyard shift, and was to be there until 5am. It was nearly 3, and he was doing ok. But he was insanely bored, and had to slap his own face every once in a while to keep focused, because his mind kept wandering back. Back to his members, back to his favorite performances from past tours, back to home, back to Taehyung. He was lost in their trip to Brazil, when he heard someone state his name.

"Jeon Jungkook." He did an about face, and a swift salute. "You're wanted at headquarters. I'll be taking over the rest of your shift." Jungkook's posture relaxed, and he asked curiously, "What happened? Is everything ok?" The man's face hardened. "How dare you speak to your senior like that. And of higher rank too. 50 Pushups. NOW!" Jungkook dropped to the floor and did as he was commanded. It didn't bother him, he didn't even break a sweat, but he was swirling with worry. Why would he be summoned to headquarters in the middle of the night? He thought of his family, desperately praying through each pushup that they were alright. "...47, 48, 49, 50. Now go, and remember your place." Jungkook got up, saluted, bowed deeply, then backed away respectfully. As he turned to leave he heard the other mumble under his breath. "Spoiled brat."

He was used to it. He didn't care.

He jogged to the main building full of anxiety, and stepped inside.

"Ah, Jeon, please have a seat." Jungkook found himself face to face with the highest commanding officer at this base, Officer Lee.

He sat down in the chair, bracing himself for the worst.

"I've received a call from your producer, Bang Si-Hyuk. He want's you to write some kind of letter. Now, this sort of things is, strictly speaking, not permitted. So let me please ask you to keep this interaction in confidence. It's off the record." "Yes Sir" Jungkook bowed in agreement, incredibly relieved. "My daughter is a big fan, to say the least. She'd never forgive me if I denied you... Here." The officer passed Jungkook a tablet.

He read a note from his Bang PD-nim, explaining that they needed him to write a letter to ARMY, consisting of whatever he wanted, and it would be included with the others in the new album package. Jungkook smiled, and his eyes glossed over in spite of himself. It was the closest connection he'd had to his life in longer than a year an a half. The closing of the letter read: "Lastly, here is a word from your Hyung's. 'Banana Milk!' It was the only thing they could all agree on.