Perfect Game

Disclaimer: I do not own Attack on Titan or this story.

Previously: The group feels pessimistic about defeating the Colossal Titan. Hange is upset about dying uselessly. Sasha has a feeling they're going to lose another person this season.

|~|

Flints of ember filled the thick waves of steam rising from the Colossal Titan's body as he stood slowly.

"H-Hey…" Connie said shakily, watching the Titan destroy the houses with a sweep of his hand. "Those houses will drop on us. You think one of those houses…is Eren's?" Pieces of fiery wreckage came falling. "Eren's house…is eavesdropping!" He laughed madly.

"Connie, dude, what the fuck?" Ymir couldn't help but laugh.

"Now is not the time for dumb puns." Despite his words, Eren was grinning.

"Humor is how I cope. Don't judge."

"Humor is good," Petra said to him. "It keeps people from panicking or becoming too frightened to do anything."

Connie beamed at her. "Thank you, Petra. It's so nice to be appreciated."

"Sasha, could you smack Connie?" Jean requested from Rogue's shoulder, still staring ahead at the Colossal Titan.

They giggled at Jean's request.

Sasha whacked Connie on the head with one of her Thunder Spears.

Connie tapped his head with his knuckle. "It's rock solid."

"I don't think he knows our location," Mikasa observed, crouching on a roof with Armin.

"Yeah," Armin said. "He's making Shiganshina a sea of flames by scattering burning debris."

The Colossal Titan picked up houses and threw them around. Rogue glared at him. That bastard… This time, you think you can burn down my city?!

Some of the wreckage fell close to the group. "A-Armin! The fire! Your orders?!" Connie asked him in alarm.

"Hurry it up!" Sasha said in fear.

Armin thought back to Bertolt threatening him on the roof. "I can tell," Bertolt had said, holding up his sword. "You're standing there shaking so much, you can't do a damn thing."

"Bertolt really broke Armin's confidence with that."

"He should have known better than to think the same ploy would work twice."

"Not to mention it was not the time to play peacekeeper."

Armin turned to look at Jean. "Jean, can you take my place?" All eyes turned to Armin. "I just have no idea…what to do… I was wrong reading Bertolt, and look where it got us. Jean! You're better suited for this!"

Jean was startled by his words. Then he looked to his right. "The river! Move to the river! Everyone aboard Eren! Conserve our gas!"