Chapter 25 - The Oracle

"I believe my companion came to inform you of our arrival some days ago." Damion spoke softly, clearly weary of the power in the girl's eyes.

Her smile grew ever so slightly.

"Ah yes, Miss Alice is waiting with the Oracle. They've been awaiting you." She stood from her seat behind the desk and turned her back to us.

It was at this moment I realised why she looked to young and had so much hidden power within her.

The dress she wore was open-backed, and down either side of her spine were what appeared to be scars.  Though where a scar would have been pink and raised, these left no disfiguration to her skin bar the red colouring. They were birthmarks.

A half angel's birthmarks to be precise.

"You took after the angel parent." The words were whispered but they weren't supposed to leave my mouth at all. The girl looked back at me, her smile suddenly sad as she nodded.

"My father, apparently.  I wouldn't know, I never knew who he was, nor do I know who my mother was, I was raised by two wonderful mortals until they passed and I came here."

"Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything."

"Do not worry, Miss Flynn, all shall be revealed in the end."

She gestured for us to follow her and again turned her back to us, then she pushed against a small rock that jutted out of the wall. Beside it, was an ornate golden frame, with a beautiful painted rendition of the Archangel Michael neatly within it. After a few seconds, the wall and the painting vanished, and in its place was a heavy red velvet curtain.

The half angel moved the curtain ever so slightly, but didn't open it, and slipped through. Damion followed first, then Arabella, and then finally, I slipped behind the curtain.

The hallway on the other side was dim and lit only by the occasional candle, a sweet and floral scent lingered on the stagnant, warm air. The further we went the heavier the smell became, until we stood in an open cavern. The air was strangely cool here, and the smell had become more pinelike and refreshing.

A peculiar dais took up the majority of the space and on the dais, sat on cushions on the floor, side by side, were Alice and the Oracle, both with their eyes closed.

The oracle was a wonder to behold; her face was a picture of eternal youth, marred only by six long scars, three down over each eye, that ran through her thin brows to the middle of her cheeks. Long waves of turquoise hair cascaded over her shoulders, despite its lengths having been tucked behind her delicately pointed ears.

"Ah, now there's a scent I haven't smelt in many years." Her eyelids opened, revealing clouded eyes; the scars through her eyes matched those down her face, and whatever had done it to her, had blinded her. Those unseeing eyes seemed to watch Damion. "Last True-Born, Lord of Nigh, welcome." A delicate smile graced her pale lips.

At this point Alice opened her eyes and rose to her feet, holding out a hand to help the Oracle to hers. Despite her ailment, the Oracle pushed aside the hand waiting to help her and rose on her own, as though she could see even though her sight had been taken from her. She stepped gracefully off the dais and headed towards Damion as though she were gliding through the air. She reached out and studied his face with her hands, her smile never once faltering.

"Lovely to see you again Thaliea."

"And you have brought new faces." She held out her hand, waiting for him to take it. Softly he slipped his hand into hers and led her to Arabella and I. She stopped at Arabella first, letting go of Damion's hand and reached out. Before she moved further, she asked Arabella if she minded her touching her face so that she might know what she looked like. Of course, Arabella did not refuse.