Chapter 16: Dead

Dream was frozen in place. The clang of the gun hitting the floor broke echoed of the walls. Slowly, he opened his eyes. Minister Ford lay in the centre of the room. A large bullet wound in the centre of his chest. He did it. He killed him. Dream ran towards the limp body and knelt next to him. It had to be done, but he knew that this moment would create a new nightmare that would never go away. 

"I- I'm sorry" Dream muttered.

"No... I'm sorry." His father said before his breathing stopped and his eyes turned to pools of nothingness. A series of thuds was heard behind him and Dream turned around to see the soldiers dropping to the floor, one by one. Confusion settled over Dream but there was no time. He had to get to George. Dream started down the hallway, following the sound of George's sobs and eventually reached another room. There he was. Strapped down to a bed and connected to millions of machines Dream could only assume were torture devices. 

"George!" Dream screamed and ran towards the boy, dodging the bodies of soldiers that had collapsed to the ground after he killed the minister. 

"C-clay-" George sobbed lifting a weak hand to embrace Dream. Tears fell onto George's broken body, bursting as the hit the surface of his torn skin. 

"What did they do to you." Dream gasped clutching the brunette tighter than ever. George just shook his head and buried it into his hoodie. As the tears continued to fall Dream crawled into the bed next to George and rubbed circles on his back. Then, a angelic voice cut through the sobs.

"Well you done done me and you bet I felt it. 

I tried to be chill but your so hot that I melted

I feel right through the cracks

Now I'm trying to get back."

Dream sang softly to not startle George but the boy turned to face Dream and smiled. Soon the sobs died down and George joined in singing. Giggling as he had never sung before. 

"So I won't hesitate 

no more

no more

It cannot wait

I'm yours."

Dream planted a kiss on George's forehead and George returned with a soft peck on his lips. They lay in silence for a moment, eyes closed until they heard movement from all around the room. Dream sat up holding George tightly. He was not going to lose him again. The men in white suits were rubbing their eyes and standing in confusion. Dream got ready to fight until he saw that their eyes were no longer red and their movements were no longer robotic. 

"Wh- what happened?" One of the men asked. "Where is president Ford?" Dream stared at him blankly pondering what the right thing to say in this moment was. 

"I-I killed him-" All heads turned to face them and Dream braced for impact but instead the room erupted with screams of joy. A young man even started crying. 

"My kids are finally safe again." He weeped. 

"Wait... what happened to you guys?" George asked. He seemed to be carefully studying each and every one of their faces. An older man spoke, 

"The chip that Ford inserted into our brains connected us to him. Gave him full control. So once his brain shuts down..."

"So does the rest of the system." George whispered and the man nodded. George turned to Dream. "You killed your father?"

"He was going to kill you George. I couldn't let that happen." Dream cupped his face. "I can't lose you."

"Oh Clay." George whispered connecting his lips with Dreams. However he pulled away eyes wide. "Karl!" He said, panicked. Dream immediately stood up. 

"Do any of you know where the hospital is?" 

"We have an emergency one for government officials down the hall. Now that Fords gone its all yours." Dream nodded. 

"Go alert the nurses, we'll go find the patient." With that he scooped George up and began sprinting down the hallway, towards where Sapnap, Quackity and Karl were stationed. Sapnap's eyes were red and puffy and Quackity was staring blankly at the wall. Karl lay limp in Sapnap's arms, eyes closed. He was still breathing but it was slow and small. Sapnap turned to Dream and sobbed. 

"He blacked out a few minutes ago. I think he's gone Dream." George jumped from Dreams arms and fell weakly to the floor kneeling beside Karl and stroking his hair. 

"Nick we have nurses ready down the hall. Come on I promise its safe. I made sure of that." Dream said helping Sapnap to safely hold Karl in his arms, avoiding the bullet wound that was slowly bleeding out.  Dream picked up George again as he was to weak to run and grabbed Quackity's hand. They ran out of the tunnels and into the open halls heading straight for the emergency hospital room. One of the men must have informed the nurses of them which they were eternally grateful for. Karl was placed onto a hospital bed and wheeled out of sight. Sapnap ran after them but was stopped at the door to the operating room. Dream had to grab his hand and walk him to the waiting room where he sat staring at the floor. Quackity was curled up next to George. His expression was still mostly blanked but George's efforts made him smile every now and then. Dream turned his attention to Nick. His best friend in and out of the testing arena.

"Hey, its going to be ok I promise." Sapnap just nodded and Dream wrapped an arm around him. Trying to calm his shaking body. 

A/N

Will Karl survive....