001

"THERE WAS ONCE FOUR KINGDOMS. a system which brought peace to the continent; land was equal, power was equal. this equilibrium was kept the same for decades, until the power shift that was enji todoroki was born. the man, ever since childhood, had an overbearing thirst for power. it would've been foolish for the peace-keepers, ones who could sense this shift in the fire kingdom, to let him continue. their assassination failed, in hindsight it was pointless. it only caused an even bigger imbalance. the todoroki family, in spite of the peace-keeper's plot, set to break a treaty signed centuries ago. they had stepped across into the border of the himura dynasty, the nation ruled by the waterborns. the news of the union of the water and fire kingdoms spread like wildfire, soon, the air and earth nations joined together in fear of a war. that war never came, but the peace-keepers knew that one day the tension had to come to a head. they kept in regular contact with all the royals, helping and offering advice to prevent a war, still to this day, each nation is essentially ran by these women in the name of peace. though they cannot keep out war, they can always keep in serenity."

"don't you think that's a rather heavy bedtime story for a child? i'm fairly sure he understood around 10 of those words, at a stretch," y/n said as the speech came to an end. she was leaning on the door-frame of the nursery, where her mother, the queen, was crouched by a crib adorned with cuddly toys.

"well, he needs to know his history, are you not supposed to be in the conference room?" the woman stood up with a soft smile, illuminated by the warm chandelier above. y/n's eyes spotted over the weary expression on her usually jovial face.

"..oh, yes, dad asked where you were.. he said something about urgency, so.."

"i was just putting your brother to sleep, the last thing your father would want is a crying toddler interrupting his ever-so important meetings."

it was obvious that whatever was to go down in this meeting, the queen had no intention of agreeing with her husband's plans.

"i still don't understand why dad wants me in this meeting, aren't i 'too young' or other?"

"i think he's finally realised how much he will need you in these coming months, in honesty, he's attempting to soften you up before asking for aid."

y/n sighed, her value to her father was only shown when she was needed, lovely.

there was a hum from the room where y/n knew rich people from both the kingdoms of air and earth would be sitting, making small talk and sly remarks about the others' houses and so on. the never-ending arrogance of these people made y/n's skin crawl every time she was blessed with the opportunity to see them.

'ah child, you and your mother's arrival will commence our meeting," the king's authoritative voice boomed out, startling just about everyone in the room. by the sound of his tone, y/n was expecting a reprimand for their lateness.