Moving in

The moment I close the door I instantly feel my stomach aching and my eyes burning, trying to hold back my tears. This was the moment I have been fantasizing about for years and now it is reality. I feel happy that I can officially say I share an apartment with my best friend in London but the pain of saying goodbye to my parents who are off to Holland overtakes my emotions.  I walk up the stairs trying to hold myself together because I want to make these 6 months the best 6 months of my life. When I walk into my room I see my best friend going through my vinyl collection when she turns at me saying: “ ready for the rest of your life?” while smirking. She instantly lights up my mood and I can’t wait for the months that are about to come. We have been friends for over 5 years now and even though we are the complete opposite in every way, our shared taste in music and dreams have made us get along perfectly since the first day we met.

After JJ puts my favourite Nirvana vinyl on she comes and lies next to me on my king-size bed. We both let out a heavy sigh before looking at each other and smile because we know we made it. We have always had big dreams. Moving to London together, moving to Australia together, road tripping through the USA together and much much more. One thing that always stays the same is that we want to do it together and here we are, ticking off or first dream of our list. JJ moved from Holland to London half a year ago to start University and I was so incredibly jealous. I wanted to come so bad but one does not simply move to another country by herself. But since I was already taking a gap year from my studies I decided to join her. 

I look for my phone to know what time it is when JJ says 11:30. I look at her with a confused expression. “It’s 11:30 in the morning. And your phone is on charge on your desk since it was about to die. Now get yourself dressed and look good because you didn’t think I would let our first day together go by without making plans.” I laugh and JJ walks out of my room, before she reaches the door she turns around and tells my I have 30 minutes to get ready because a taxi is waiting for us at 12.

 I have already showered and straightened my hair this morning, which leaves plenty of time for me to search for a stunning outfit. After 20 minutes of trying on every clothing item in my wardrobe I look in the mirror and smile. I decided to wear my high wasted black skinny jeans and my black lacy crop top, covered by my leather jacket. After that I apply my some dark red lipstick and put on my Dr. Martens. Pleased with the way I look I walk out of the door to find JJ sitting outside smoking a cigarette waiting for the taxi. She looks up and we both laugh when I realise we are pretty much dressed the same, “guess we’re not so different after all” she says while the taxi pulls up in front of our apartment and we both get into the backseat.

 “Where are we going?” the taxi driver asks us while turning around the corner. “The train station please”  JJ replies while poking me in the arm. I have never seen her so excited and to be completely honest, I have never been this excited.