Chapter 19

"Stefan I need to use the restroom or my bladder will explode", Caroline said looking at Stefan who was driving them to New Orleans.

"Right!" he obeyed. They parked at the next gas station and before she could step out he was there to help her out.

"Always the gentleman", she said smiling.

Once she returned to the car, Stefan gave her a bag of onion rings which she started eating in haste.

"Looks like someone is hungry", he commented giving his small smile.

"Never comment about a pregnant woman's food", she said barely taking her eyes off her food.

"Stefan, Can I ask you a question?".

"Sure".

"And you'll answer honestly but don't sugercoat because you are my friend".

"Just ask. What is it?".

"Why are you coming with me? You could have stayed back at Mystic Falls".

"Because I am not leaving you alone with Klaus".

"But you know he won't lift a finger towards me. Then why?", she asked hoping for an answer she was certain she wouldn't get.

"Because you are my best friend, because you are caring my child. And this is the least I could do", he said keeping his eyes straight on the road.

She turned towards her window suppressing her emotions down. She kept narrating to herself that he is just a friend, nothing more.

I have been particularly excited today, I am going to find the gender of the baby. Stefan couldn't make it but Damon is going with me. Even though the baby is not his yet all he has been being is supportive.

Damon entered the room with a huge tray in his hand, pancakes, scrambled eggs, orange juice, fresh fruits and a glass of water.

"What are we celebrating?" I asked.

"You!" he replied.

I gave him a confused look.

"Silly, we are celebrating that I get to wake up to you each morning, I get to see you sleeping, I get to hear you breathe, and I get to feed you", he said putting a piece of fruit in my mouth. And I giggled like a two-year-old fascinated over a candy.

"Shouldn't you be out there plotting and scheming over how to fight these witches", I said.

"Well, it's a good thing your boyfriend knows how to get his work done. And you don't need to worry, enjoy your meal, get ready and let's find out what we are having".

Matt and Bonnie had located all the places where these witches lived some through force and some through magic. Bonnie and Freya had been working together and both of them are confident that the plan will work. A plan that I am completely unaware of.

So I dress up for the appointment and make my way to Damon's car in which my beautiful boyfriend is already listening to music.

We drive to the clinic that Bonnie has arranged for me. The nurse directs me to the room which is brightly lit. An old lady enters the room, and give me some instructions. I wear a paper-thin gown, give my urine sample and lay down as instructed. Damon is right next to me holding my hand. The doctor widens my legs and I automatically close my eyes. Damon pats my head, making strokes on my arm, his way of making me calm.

"Relax, take a deep breath for me," said the doctor.

"Everything appears alright here. Let's get to see the baby".

She poured a cold gel over my naked belly and moved a little but then she showed me the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. My baby. My little one growing inside me.

"It's a boy," the doctor said with a huge smile on his face.

I couldn't help but cry. Tears running down my cheeks were a sign of relief that after everything my baby is okay, he is real. Very much a part of me. After everyone that I have lost it felt complete unreal having him. I couldn't help thinking how happy mom and dad would have been. Dad would be too protective, watching my every step, panicking all along the way and Mom, she would sit right next to me and tell me how much this baby will be cherished and spoiled by his grandmom. Even though they are not here, I still have him now, I thought thinking about the sound of the heartbeat that I just heard few minutes ago.

Damon helped me sit, I wiped the gel but the tears won't stop dropping. When the doctor left he sat next to me.

"What's wrong?", he asked, embracing me in a hug.

"I don't know why I am crying but he is real. Damon I am having a baby". I said like believing it for the first time.

"Yes, you are sweetheart" he said placing a kiss on the forehead.

What felt like a million stops along the lines way, finally Stefan and Caroline reached New Orleans. They were welcomed by Klaus, to be precise Caroline was welcomed by him. As they walked in he showed them their rooms and insisted Caroline on having some food.

"Why are you being so nice?", Caroline asked Klaus.

"Am I being now?" he pouted.

"Yes, and it's obnoxiously weird  because you are not a nice person", she stated.

"And here I thought you cherished my efforts", he said taking a step towards her.

Hesitantly she took a step back, her eyes locking with his.

"Maybe you know my intentions for you are pure but you just don't wanna believe it", he said taking another step towards her.

Caroline could feel air squeezing out of her chest, her eyes never leaving his, talking a step away from him and within seconds dizziness swept her and she found her world blacking and warmth of strong arms engulfing her.

Klaus wraped her close to her chest, tightening his grip over her and carrying her to the nearest sofa. Concern radiated through his beautiful and now angry face. As Caroline became comfortable, she slowly opened her eyes to meet his and he let a long breathe of relief.

Before he could hunt down the best doctor in the city and run all kinds of tests to understand why she had just fainted. She tamed her wrath by saying, "It's the tiredness catching up to me because of all the travel. I better get some sleep".

She tried to get up but Klaus was faster, he swooped her bridal style and carried her to her room.

When he left her alone she found herself drooling at all the dirty times she wanted from him. But couldn't deny the strong feelings she felt for Stefan too. Feeling frustrated over her confused emotions she planned to rest and hoped that she never had to choose between the two.

-------------------------------------------------
Who do you think Caroline will choose Stefan or Klaus?
Will the growing feelings that Damon is developing for Elena's child leave him devasted towards the end?

P.S. Suggest some names for the baby and tell me what you think Caroline is carrying, girl or boy?