Chapter 10

For the first time in months, Niall woke up with a smile on his face. Why not smile? It’s a Saturday morning, he had no lessons to teach today, and summer was close. The bitterness of winter had faded, and the sun was starting to warm up. Niall jumped out of bed, and threw on a pair of joggers and went to make breakfast at noon.

He simply made eggs and toast, not wanting to prepare anything too brilliant. Today instead of coffee, he went with a decaff tea, and pondered what his daily events would provide for his entertainment. He could hang out with the boys, or he could spend the day in this dusty flat, rotting away. Before he got ahead of himself, he decided he should see what Zayn had in store for him today.

Over the few months, the letters have been closely related with the tree incident. Technically this wasn’t a bad thing, it actually made Niall happy, for some odd reason. He started to appreciate the little things in his and Zayn’s relationship that he didn’t take in the first time around. It was kind of like he was reliving all the things they went through together, the good and the bad. The whole process was almost like a second chance at their mess of a relationship.

Once Niall finished breaking his fast, he slid the plate into the sink, and went to shove on his shoes that sat by the door patiently. He strolled down the hallway, and into stairwell, avoiding his phobia of elevators. He practically skipped down the stairs with his hands buried in his pockets, making sure he flashed his famous smile to anyone who passed by him.

The mail-room was at it’s usual vacant state, just as Niall preferred it. It was awkward when people shared the room, because Niall felt as if he were being watched. He quickly gathered his mail, trying to avoid anyone coming into the room, and strolled back to his apartment. Niall kicked off his shoes, and tore into the request that awaited his approval.

Nialler,

Hey babes, hope you’re having a good day. Is it getting warm yet? I know you never really enjoyed the cold as much as I did. How are your lessons? I hope they aren’t too frustrating, and I hope you’re being patient. I know some kids seem impossible to teach, but I promise, they aren’t incapable of learning, x

I think it’s time for you to get out of that flat, if you haven’t already. When I say this, I mean get out for good. It’s time to move. I know it’s a lot to ask, because I don’t know whether you’re comfortable living there, or completely sulking. I really hope it’s not the latter.. I just really feel as if you need to get out of there. It’s a step to move on, because staying there can’t be healthy. We shared so much there, and I think it’s time for you to start something new. A whole new flat, with whole new neighbors, on a while new street. Maybe even a whole new someone to start memories with.

I’m okay with it, you know. I wouldn’t blame you if you wanted to hook up with someone, or start a real relationship. You’re only human, and I expect that of you. I want you to be happy, and happy you’ll be without me. I think I’ve already told you that many times, but it’s true. Please go and be happy.

Anyway, go on out searching for a new place. Take the boys along with you, especially Liam. He’s good at those kinds of things, you know, finances. Have fun today.

Love, Zayn xx

P.s. I still love you Niall

Niall fiddled with the paper in his hands, trying to process what Zayn was asking of him. He wanted him to.. Move? He’s lived in this flat for over two years! Yeah, of course it gets hard sometimes, receiving flashbacks of certain things that happened in certain rooms of house, but he would always shake his head, along with the memories.

Niall rested the letter on the counter, and looked around the flat, the home for dust, and pondered actually moving out. It would be a new experience, and maybe he would meet new people. Friends that is. Niall just wasn’t ready for a new relationship, even if it had been months.