Chapter 3

I never liked my gym classes, and I never will. Physical exercise is not for me or my body, but it is required once a week. My dad's hat is with me because it's the only class where I'm allowed to wear it. Although it is not part of the school uniform, I wear it to keep the sun out of my eyes. Also, I am grateful that Beth is with me, and we get to jog around the race track together.

When I mean jogging, I mean a light trot.

'So that's why you left early.' She says after I had to explain my weird behaviour yesterday.

'Yeah, I just know she's going to say something to me at least.'

'Why does it concern her so much about you being friends with Kyle?'

'I don't know. It's not like I'm trying to steal him away from her.'

'I know what you need. You need to go on a date.'

We both came to a standstill as her proposal drew my attention.

'Right, and who with?'

Beth points over to where the boys are playing baseball, and we can see Lucas' attempt to swing and miss completely. I looked back at her, with my eyebrows nearly touching my forehead.

'Really?'

'Come on, give Lucas a chance. He really likes you.'

'But Beth, I don't. It's not fair on him.'

'I didn't think I liked Francis but look at us now.'

'That's not true, you both liked each other.'

The flirting between them became noticeable, leaving everyone frustrated as we waited for the pair to unite. With a bit of nudge from Lucas and Ben, Francis finally asked her out on the date. He took her to a nearby comic con convention, and the rest is history.

From what she told me, Francis dressed up as her favourite cosplay character that day, which turned out to be the most uncomfortable costume in the world, but she did it to test him. To see if he was worth it, a classic move from Beth, playing hard to get.

'You're not letting him try. Go on a date with him. It might make you forget about Kyle.'

'I don't think you can make people grow to like you like that.' I stated.

She sighs, 'Look around you. That group over there are the guys who care way too much about their appearance...' She gets me to look at the football team, '...Over there are the people that are suited for them....' And we gaze at the cheerleaders. '...You and Kyle are not in the same group anymore, face it.'

We hear the whistle from the teacher signalling us to keep running, and we put our hands up, understanding and start jogging.

I know Beth is trying to make me see sense, but she doesn't know Kyle like I do. He is a great guy to be around because he is kind, generous, and fun.

'It's not all about what you do in school.' I said as I fantasised about Kyle being mine.

'Since when have you ever heard a jock dating an arty-farty girl?...'

She does make a point.

'...Also, you don't want to be leaving high school a virgin.'

She makes my legs stop with her embarrassment-inducing joke.

'Beth!'

She shrugs her innocence and comes to a halt as well, 'You know college guys don't dig that. They want to be with someone who knows how to. You know Lucas hasn't, too, so why don't you both date and try. I think it'll help you.'

I let out a sigh and return my attention to Lucas. Athletics isn't in his bones either, but he tries. To be frank, he's better at swinging a sword, fighting imaginary dragons, and saving the maiden. He is sweet and lovely, but my feelings for him are more like a brother that I never had.

Even though I had forced Beth to date Francis for years, they had a spark right from the start. While with Lucas, I never had any of that. I also fear that it would jeopardise what we already have, and it won't be easy to create the loving feeling that Lucas has towards me.

The teacher blows the whistle, informing us to stop talking suddenly. We signalled that we had understood and resumed our jogging.

'You'll need a prom date, you know, it's not that far away.' Beth carries on talking, and I scoff.

'Please, I have time to-', My foot collides with something, knocking me down, and I land with my hands bearing the brunt of the impact. After that, the rest of my body lurches. When I look up, Gemma is towering over me.

Here we go.

'Beat it, Gemma.' Beth hissed.

'Shut it you.' She hissed back.

'Beth, it's fine.' I said as I lifted myself from the ground and wiped the dust from my clothing.

Gemma glares at me, considering a plan to kill me. Her tight vest top and bare skinny long legs, with her butt cheeks, almost protruding from her short skirt. She even dresses up in the school uniform to make a fashion statement.

'How many times do I have to tell a loser like you to stay away from him.' Gemma snarls at me, and my eyes shift to the corner of the floor as though I don't want to react.

My dad taught me to always stand up for myself within reason but never let the bully see you cry.

'I can't help it if he wants to speak to me.' I respond without becoming frustrated, 'It's the truth, and he's not flirting with me.

'Yeah, right, just because you claim to be friends and live next door to him, it isn't going to make you popular.'

I have no words to say to her because it's not worth the fight; I said what I needed to say and defended myself as best as possible. Whatever I say, it would always be a lie to her.

'Why would anyone want to speak to you...' Gemma continues, taking a small step forward and reaching out with one hand, '... You're just a loser....' She pulls my hat down when she emphasises "loser", '...With that stupid hat on all the time.'

I try not to let her get to me by keeping my head down. My hat is my treasure to me, whether she thinks of it as junk. Whatever words she says to me, and she can come to me as much as she wants, I have no reason for her to think that I'm taking Kyle away from her.

A whistle blasts for the third time, booming through our ears.

'You better watch yourself.' Gemma says while gritting her teeth and jogs away.

'You alright?' Beth asks, concerned, and I straightened my hat.

'It's fine.' I lie to her.

'What a bitch!'

'The sooner I can get out of high school, the better.' I mutter.