Chapter 8

My art classes clear my mind and transport me to another world where nothing will bother me. Drawing takes me to a world unlike any other, as the pencil glides effortlessly over the paper. I take advantage of this time to delve deeper into my story and daydream...

I shouldn't be scared of walking around the city at night, but I'm Scarlett Red, after all. I hide behind my red cloak, which covers my mouth and I watch every lane, but I can't help but gaze up at the stars. The only one that the Dark Master has control of because he understands what's happening up there and can change things at any moment. I miss him. I'm out in these cold streets searching for him, and I need to figure out how to connect with him and break the spell.

'You don't know when to quit, do you?'

I hear a female voice in the alleyway and prepare myself into position to fight.

The Crimson Witch appears with a grin on her face. Her pink hair flows over her shoulders, and a tight black and pink catsuit reveals a runaway figure. As she takes a step forward, her heels clatter on the ground.

I take the cover off my mouth. 'Where is he?' I gritted through my teeth.

'He's mine now, and he doesn't belong to you.' She retorted with a hiss.

'What have you done to him?'

She laughs maliciously, 'Made him who he needs to be and everything in this town. There is way too of much of you hanging around here.'

'What are you going to do?' I keep staring at her, watching her every encounter, even if her eyes are off me, and she is studying her nails. I'm eager to throw the first punch.

'Oh, I don't need to do anything.' The witch glares at me, and a tall shadow emerges from behind her.

It's him.

His eyes have turned pink. Those beautiful eyes I glance into are now gone. She moves closer to him, pressing her body against his waist, playing with his hair with one hand and the other on his chest.

'Why do all the hard work when I can get some else to.'

'D....' My eyes were welling up as I wait for the sound of my voice to bring him back to me. He might come back.

Her juicy pink lips caress his ear, and she whispers a few words.

I see the rage in his eyes as if he's about to attack, and he looks at me, determined to kill me. I shouldn't be afraid of hurting him...

'Look at me, Lou, I'm a paperclip man.' Lucas says next to me as he bounces a paper clip stickman he made on the table. When I returned to reality, I chuckled at his amusing voices.

'You are a pain, you know that.' I mocked him, and he smiled.

'I want to put a smile on that beautiful face of yours.' I laugh when he compliments me.

'You sure know how.'

He smiles again, but the corners of his mouth have changed slightly.

'Listen, I was wondering if you're not busy tonight, we could go to the movies?...' His voice trembled with nerves.

Is he asking me out?

'...Or get some food at one of the food courts in the mall?' His fingertips plays the ends of the paper on the table.

Yep, he's asking me out.

I remember what Beth said, and something is telling me that I should go for it. But it's Friday, and I plan to spend some time with my mom.

'I'm sorry, Lucas, it's a bit last minute, and it's my time with mom.' I said.

'No, it's okay. I get it...How about next Friday?'

Until Beth said he's really into me, it's starting to show. My reaction to his drawing this morning must have sparked his curiosity. I didn't want to come across as enthusiastic as I did, but I felt blessed to have Lucas in my life.

Our frequent playful and childish interactions were just what I expected close friends to be. Kyle and I used to be like that until my heart decided to change my view. I can see this timid Lucas trying to break free from the shell he's built around himself.

'Is it okay to come back to you?' I ask him. My response was unclear, and I'm not sure what I said led to a possible answer. Am I doing the right thing? I could be mistaken, as it might not be a date.

'Yeah, that's cool with me.' Lucas says, rubbing the back of his neck. He believes he can keep his thoughts concealed, but I can tell he's disappointed by my response.

I left him alone for the remainder of the class as he worked on his masterpiece, which resembled rejection. The pencil he clasped onto went blunt too often. After that, I felt guilty for letting him down like that.

Maybe I should have said yes, to please him. But what am I trying to achieve by doing so? To make Lucas happier so that all of my friends avoid cooing over us or get over Kyle.

Lucas and I took a walk down the halls on our way to our next destination.

'Watch out, losers about.' Gemma yells out, which makes her friends laugh.

We're on our way to the cafeteria, and the sound of her voice makes me tremble with anger.

'Just ignore it.' Lucas whispers to me, and that's what I do. A clatter of heels comes up to us,

'Hey, I'm talking to you.' She grabs my arm, making my heels turn to her.

'What do you want?' I protested angrily because bothering me on an empty stomach when it's begging for food isn't a smart idea.

'To tell you to-' A pair of strong hands wrap around her waist, and she stops to look over her shoulder.

'Hey, babe.' Kyle says and kisses her the side of her cheek, 'Hey Lou.' He says to me with a smile. I nod back to indicate to Gemma that I'm not flirting. 'What are you girls talking about?'

'I was just thanking her for us to have our date night last night.' She says it with a childlike innocence in her eyes, 'Didn't I?' Gemma looks at me, commanding I need to "play along, or I'll get hurt again".

'Yeah, totally.' I said flatly.

'Babe, let's go.'

Kyle looks at me while Gemma is dragging him away as quickly as possible. The corner smile, the eyes, hair, body, damn his perfect genes from head to toe.

Lucas taps me on the shoulder and says, "Let's go." Any time he leaves with her, my heart hurts, and I have no control over it.