Chapter 42

In a few days, I'll turn eighteen, hear about my college placements, and one thing I can't forget, the sixth year of remembering my dad. Being a couple of days before my birthday, I'm finding it hard to cope, as I'm uncertain what my mom would do this year now she has Todd.

On the day I walk alone and visit places where I spent time with him, it keeps my mind busy with the memories. I told my friends about my dad, but they had no idea when he died. I haven't told Lucas because I don't want anyone around. He'll try to comfort me, but I'm not looking for sympathy.

Also, there's a home football game tonight, and I explain to my friends that Todd has something for mom and me as an excuse to get to know Todd better. Lucas attempted to invite himself, believing that his presence would make me feel more at ease. True, it would be helpful, but it's all a lie.

My mom and I go quiet because she knows I want my space. With a suitable scarf, my warm coat, my dads' hat, and my own company, I walk around to the park, near the fire station and the building where my dad lost his life.

Since the building couldn't hold its structure, it had to be demolished and rebuilt. Everyone else who lived there escaped, but my dad and two others did not. My dad saved an apprentice on the fire service before he got himself out. That's a true hero to me, and every year at the fire station, flowers and cards thanking them for their service are stacked outside. I shed a few tears as I approach all of their memorials, blessing, praying, and missing the town's three heroes.

Once I looked at all that, I go to the empty cafe and get my regular order, sitting by the window looking out. My mind reminisces about the good times, but some details are blurry as I try to keep the tears from welling up in my eyes.

'Hey... Can I join you?' I leap out of my skin when I hear a male voice, and I glance over.

'Kyle... What are you doing here?' I exclaimed.

'I know this is a bad day for you... I thought you might need the company.' He says with empathy with his soft blue eyes and takes the seat across from me.

His messy hair and a warm jacket is something I'm dying to smell and wear and to sit together like this. My head is too messed up to think like this. What is wrong with me?

'Look... I appreciate this, but-'

'I don't want to talk about it.' Kyle cuts me off, 'Not on a day like this.'

I sigh, and he glares at me, unsure what to say.

'Can I get you something?' The waitress approaches and breaks the uncomfortable silence.

'Two hot chocolates with whip cream and marshmallows, please.' He confidently spoke, and the glimpse in his eyes was implying that I should consider his offer.

'That'll be it, thank you.' I spoke, and she walked away. 'Thanks.' I mutter, and he responds with a slight grin.

'I knew you couldn't say no to a hot chocolate.' He mocks and makes me smile for the first time today.

'Did the game end already?' I ask as time hasn't been on my side today.

Kyle smirks, 'I kind of made coach bench me early and escaped. Thought it might teach him a lesson why he should have done it the first time...'

He looks cute when he's smart like that.

'...I noticed you weren't at the game, and I figured out why...It's something you don't want to be doing on your own...'

I can't believe he's been looking for me. It's a nice thing to consider, but I've not seen him looking for me in the last few years. Anyway, now that he's here, I can't think straight. It's messing with my mind and my hearts battling between Kyle and Lucas.