Clear mind

The house was silent, barely any sound to be heard other than the occasional car driving past, Tanner lay awake in the guest room listening out for even the slightest noise unable to let himself fall asleep and let that man get his hands on Luna. Although he knew that all the windows were locked he still lay there thinking through everything that had happened the previous night. Dimitri breaking in, Tanner telling her everything and then the hug? Too much had happened in such a short amount of time.

He lay there for a little longer listening to the crickets outside his window before deciding to get up and go to the living room. He opened the door and started at Luna's door for a moment before continuing his way down the hall. He looked around the room and noticed that the house keys were still sitting on Luna's desk.
'If only I had my Blazer I could have a cigarette and take a break from the hell this day has been' He thought.

He decided the next best thing was to get some fresh air, even though it was risky to go outside at risk of being seen but nobody would see him this late at night. Right? He picked up the keys and turned them in the lock, when he closed the door behind him he sighed and leaned against the door.

"Something bothering you doctor?"

Tanner froze and looked to his left and saw someone in the shadows as smoke was blown into his face, Tanner coughed at the sudden smoke that met his lungs. "Ooooh, sorry about that, thought you'd be used to that by now. Want one? The man said holding out the box of cigarettes. Tanner accepted "Wish I could say it was good to see you but I can't exactly do that with you standing there. Adam" The man stepped out of the darkness revealing a man with a black suit and hair similar to Tanner but darker and swept to the side rather than back. "May i ask why you are here sir? Or did you just want to say hi" Tanner asked the man that stood before him.
"I could ask you the same thing" Adam replied "none of the boys have seen you for over a week, and I found out from...sources that you've been involving yourself with a cop. Don't worry though I'm not angry at you, of course not, I just wanted to remind you of what I did for you when you were dumb enough to commit a murder and leave several traces of evidence"
"Of course sir I ensure you I haven't forgotten"
"Good, you're lucky you're liked so much, I don't usually let debts go 7 years without being paid"

Tanner simply nodded in response, there was a moment of silence until Adam began to speak "so, you and this Luna" Tanner knew what was coming and he didn't want to answer the question "you gotten lucky yet?" Tanner looked over at Adam with a sceptical look "no" "oh so you're planning to" "NO".
"Oh calm yourself doctor, it's all part of the game and don't yell at me again or I will have to shoot you, ok?" Tanner took a step back and nodded his head putting the cigarette out on the wall. Adam walked down the steps but stopped and turned around to look up at Tanner "oh and one more thing" Tanner paused and looked down at him confused, Adam continued "Tanner as much as you wish it, you can't hide from him forever". They stood there for a moment with Tanner looking paler than milk before the black car Tanner hadn't realised was there beeped it's horn at Adam.

Adam waved his hand at the car and walked down the path and opened the door, he turned around again just as he was about to get in "goodbye doctor, I wish you all the best" Tanner waved as the car drove away, when the car was out of sight he sighed seemingly at nothing and turned to face the door to unlock it. Once he was inside he locked the door and placed the keys back where that were on Luna's desk and went to the guest room, once again stopping in front of Luna's door at staring at it for a moment before continuing on his way to 'his' room.

As much as Tanner didn't want to admit it Adam was right, Tanner couldn't hide from him forever, at some point he was going to have to face him whether he liked it or not. He lay backdown the bed and once again stared at the ceiling until for the first time in a while he fell asleep.