Chapter 9: Limits

"'Tsumu, are you all right? What's wrong? I don't have to leave right now." Omi came over to kneel in front of Atsumu. His inky eyes stared up at him. Atsumu was touched to see the concern they showed. He was finally able to speak but could only get out three words. "Please don't go."

"Okay. I won't go right now. I'll stay." Some of the tension left Atsumu's shoulders and he was staring intently into Sakusa's eyes looking for signs of annoyance or frustration. But all he saw was concern and he fell a little more for the spiker.

"Thanks. Can we watch another movie? A happy one?"

Sakusa smiled reassuringly. "Sure. Anything you want to watch is fine with me." Atsumu relaxed a fraction more and Kiyoomi felt like he avoided some crisis. I can do this. All I have to do is sit here a couple more hours. I'll just try not to look at him.

Sakusa managed for a while but then he was looking at Atsumu out of the corner of his eye. The setter still seemed fidgety from what he could tell, but he was glad that Atsumu wasn't looking at him with that 'fuck me' look any more.

Atsumu wasn't really paying much attention to the movie. He was trying to but he kept thinking that when the movie was over, Omi-kun would leave. He felt ridiculously nervous at the thought of being alone. Overnight. Just him and his anxiety. And to be perfectly honest, he wished Omi would stay for other reasons as well. Should he say something? Bring up That Night again and say he regretted leaving the next morning? If he did, would Omi get uncomfortable and leave? That would be bad. Atsumu just didn't think he could bear to be alone right now. He couldn't do anything that might drive Omi away.

When the second movie was over it was well past 11:00 and Omi rose again to leave. "It's really late. I should get going."

Atsumu blurted out, "Can you stay the night?" Kiyoomi looked alarmed and a little afraid, making Atsumu feel self-conscious and stupid. He turned away, "Forget it. Forget I said anything." Omi came to stand in front of Atsumu. He kneeled down again.

"Talk to me. Do you need me to stay the night?" Atsumu looked and again saw that kindness and concern. He nodded lamely.

"Okay, that's fine. Just let me go get a few things from my place. I'll only be gone maybe twenty minutes."

"No!" Atsumu almost yelled. "I mean, I don't want to be alone."

"Even for twenty minutes?" Omi asked. Atsumu nodded again and looked away, ashamed.

Omi considered the options. "Do you want to come with me?"

Atsumu shook his head vigorously. "No. No, I can't leave. I don't feel safe." Kiyoomi scowled. Now what? He really needed some clothes and his toothbrush if he was going to stay overnight. Maybe if he just reasoned with Atsumu he would understand.

"Miya-san, I need to just grab some clothes and my toothbrush. It really won't take long. Or if you want, you can pack some things and come stay at my place."

Atsumu was shaking his head again. "I can't. I can't leave right now. I have clothes you can wear and a brand new toothbrush you can have. Just don't leave, okay? Please?"

His pleading made Sakusa feel a combination of alarm and protectiveness. He took a deep breath and relented. "Okay, fine."

"C'mon. I'll get the stuff for ya." Atsumu led Kiyoomi to his bedroom where he went to his drawers and pulled out a pair of gray sweatpants and a black t-shirt. He knew both were big on him so hopefully they would fit Omi's slightly larger frame. And if not, that was okay too, thought Atsumu, thinking about Omi wearing his clothes. His too tight clothes. Showing off his muscles. Shit, thought Atsumu belatedly. I should have given him something smaller. He was momentarily disappointed with himself for not thinking that one through more.