Chapter 3

Germany actually realized a large part of the territory they gained after pushing back the western allies were weighing down their logistics. Moreover, their newly taken territory is bare of defensive structure, making them impractical as a defensive line.

The German's solution? They retreat while setting up unbelievable numbers of landmines. Around this time, Hitler was absent from command as he was sick, leaving his generals free to do whatever they deem good. Ergo, some of the orders and actions of the German military from here onward were logical and something Hitler probably wouldn't do at all.

Back to Germany's plan of action, General Erich Manstein ordered the mass retreat of man and materiel. The Germans also took whatever the Americans left during the Battle of Ardennes. They would use it for defense against the upcoming major offensive by the allies. The Germans then fortified the Siegfried line. They dug in and created strong bunkers. Also, they doubled the landmines. Landmines aren't pretty impressive, but they're very practical. The Germans hoped that would be effective against the western allies.

What about the eastern front? Germany gained no ground in the previous offensive, so they decided to just dig in where their position is for a desperate defense. The Americans have near infinite materiel, but the Soviets have near infinite manpower. Germany realized the fight against the Soviets will be bloody, so they prepare their best for the upcoming bloodbath.

The western allies realized the Germans retreated, so they started advancing while clearing the minefields. It took them a long a time to get through the minefields, and there were numerous accidents.

The western allies realized something though. They decided to try and use aircraft to take out massive concentrations of mines. It worked. The aircraft did well, though it did not clear the entire minefield.

The minefield had to be cleared manually by infantry to truly dispose of the mines. The western allies did not take very heavy casualties, but they did get delayed, by a lot. German had time to strengthen their already strong defensive line.

The western allies bombing into Germany had to be reduced. Germany had a sudden increase of flak guns in nearly every region and vital sites. While aerial bombardment was still feasible, the cost outweighs the result, so western allies chose to put the bombing campaign on hold.

On the Soviet's side, the Soviets are already advancing, but they were having a bitter time. Germany has already created whatever defenses they can create. Since Hitler is absent from command, German generals did not bother of thinking counterattacks like Hitler would normally do. They poured all resources into defense.

The Soviet advance was progressing slowly but very surely. But it had to be halted at some point. Germany decided that they must destroy every road and every infrastructure available. Soviet infantries could advance, but their armor couldn't. The Soviets thought they could just sent their infantry to overrun the Germans. They changed their minds.

The wermacht was changed from a mobile warfare military to a defensive military. The Germans, knowing they just made every infrastructure unusable, made defensive especially to deal with infantry. The Soviet infantry had problems getting through, so they had to wait for armor support every time they meet a German defensive position.

The Soviets wasn't stopped, but delayed in the advance. Germany was still likely to be doomed when the Soviets reach Berlin. The allies were also slowly but surely crawling their way to the German defensive line. One mine at a time. The German high command is in a little bit of disarray. Some of the leadership wants to assassinate Hitler and surrender to the allies. Some say Germany still has hope, and peace talks were still feasible.

Of course, this all happened as Hitler was sick in bed. Hitler would definitely be more than happy to simply execute whoever talked about surrendering or assassinating him. Hitler was temporarily in comatose. His disease made him unable to participate in any leading, so the other Nazi leadership are free to do what they want.