Ten Minutes

'For the last time, you look fine!'

'I'm nearly done!' Zach snapped. He'd not slept well during the night and was now letting his emotions get the better of him.

Mrs Garrett didn't look away from the living room window, even if she came across as a nosey neighbour to the outside world. No, she watched that bus stop like a hawk until the single-decked vehicle drove by without stopping.

'There, that's better.'

'Well, it doesn't matter now, Zach; You've missed your bus.'

Zach turned away from the front porch mirror and fluttered his eyes. 'You did say you'd take me, though.'

Mrs Garrett bore a look of exasperation. 'That was half an hour ago. If you hadn't spent all morning in the shower, I could have helped.'

'But-'

'No buts. Your father needs the car now.'

'Don't look at me,' Mr Garrett grumbled, only lowering the newspaper enough to peer at his pouting son. 'I'm heading out the door as we speak.'

'But you're still sat... Never mind,' Zach replied, turning to fuss over his fringe again in the mirror. 'I'll cycle there; it's only ten minutes away.'

'That's the spirit.'

'Well, it beats walking, dad.'

Mr Garrett shook his head, rolled from his worn-out recliner with effort and scooped up his car keys from the otherwise empty fruit bowl.

'Are you forgetting something?' Said Mrs Garrett, tilting her cheek.

Mr Garrett strode across the kitchen, placed one hand on the small of her back and the other at the top, and then swooped her off her feet.

She laughed again. 'What are you-'

'Look away, son.' Warned Mr Garrett as he planted a sloppy kiss on her neck.

Zach didn't need to be told twice, but before he could sprint out the door, his mother caught him. She licked her finger and brushed aside the hair he'd spent so long taming.

'That's more like it. I love the suit, by the way, very fetching.'

Zach flushed with embarrassment. 'You know it's dad's, so stop teasing.'

Mrs Garrett smiled and turned Zach's face until he met her gaze. 'I never say anything to you that I don't mean.'

'Yes, he does look handsome,' chuckled Mr Garrett, straightening Zach's tie. 'Now, good luck today. And no matter what happens, I'm proud.'

Mrs Garrett was wiping away tears when the cuckoo bird wall clock began to chime. It was eight-thirty, and Zach's interview was at nine.

'Alright, alright. I love you two, but you have to get moving! Go!'

Zach slapped the lucky number seven plaque on his door as he followed his dad outside, already making a beeline for the little garden gate.

'Don't forget your helmet.' Shouted Mrs Garrett, getting ready to move back inside.

Zach hated wearing the thing, but he wasn't a school kid showing off to his friends anymore. He knew it was for the best, so he triumphantly held it up to give his mum peace of mind. Then he began to fiddle with the combination lock that had his bicycle tied to the hinge of their wooden gate.

'Oh, and Stephen?'

Zach's dad turned before reaching the gate himself. 'Yes, Mrs Garrett.'

'Try not to run over the neighbour's plants today, will you? Eye Patch Betty says she's "going to bury you under the damn flower bed" if you do, and she scares me.'