Unpretty in Pink

Did you ever go through that phase where you absolutely despised all things pink and girly?

I did. Ages 11-14 I hated pink! I tried pretending I was all tomboy-like when I was around my school friends because that was what everyone else was like. I did this despite having no interest in anything we consider boyish, such as video games, sports, or guy clothes (so many shirts in garbage monster green!).

Everyone thought being a girly girl was "uncool" and so did I. This was odd considering how much I detest being around and talking to people, so I don't see why I cared, especially since I didn't know most of their names.

Was it internalized misogyny? Did people I don't know and media I don't care for end up influencing my haltered for a color?

The world tells us that pink is for girls yet every other color is for all of us. Then it tells us that pink is uncool? Just because girls like it? In a way that's just telling young girls that girls are lame but boys are cool!

I've over hating pink! I like it, maybe it's because I'm girly or maybe it's just a nice color that looks good on me but at the end of the day that's all it is. A color. It's a color that doesn't belong to anyone, no matter what "society" tries to tell us. Frankly, it looks good on most people regardless of gender. So if you want to wear pink, wear pink. If you want to hate pink, then hate it. Just make sure you hate it instead of someone else making you think you hate it.