Chapter 6 (Part 3)

As he left the Fuers in the dining room, passing by the lounge, Oliver suddenly heard a gentle knock on the front door. Oliver sniffled, swiftly wiping off his tears as he rushed to open the entrance. As he swung the front door, Oliver's rapid, pounding heart became tranquil after seeing Sophia's smile.

Oliver smiled at Sophia as her emerald eyes dragged him closer to her face. "Oh." He stared at her with a calm, delicate gaze.

"Hi," Sophia beamed.

Oliver then glanced at Sophia's back and saw her parents. "Oh, good morning," Oliver greeted them with a warm welcome.

"Good morning, dear. Is Layla here?" Amelia asked as she stepped in.

Layla and Alexander emerged from the dining room.

"I think they're here," Alexander murmured as he walked out of the dining room with his wife.

Layla quickly rushed towards her friend with open arms. "Amelia!" Layla called.

"Layla!" Amelia approached Layla and hugged her. "I have lots of something to tell you."

"Gossips?" Alexander guessed with his hands on his back.

"Even better!" Amelia replied. "Come on!"

     While Sophia's parents gathered with the Fuers in the dining room, Sophia stood in the doorway, staring at Oliver for a brief second before entering. She then noticed Oliver's puffed eyes. Worried, she gasped as gently she held Oliver's face.

"Is there something wrong?" Sophia asked in concern, putting her hands on Oliver's face as she leaned nearer him.

     Oliver's glance fell. Then, he shut his eyelids close. Oliver lowered his head, trying to hide his tearful eyes from Sophia.

"...Nothing," Oliver replied.

"I know something bad happened. Tell me," Sophia insisted.

Oliver grabbed Sophia's hands and squeezed them. "Sophia..." He asked with a deep, monotonous voice, "...Do you love me?"

"...Of course, I do..." she replied. "...But..." Her gaze dropped.

"...But?" Oliver peered into her eyes.

"...But... not in a..." Sophia looked down. "...Not in a way you might think..." She then glanced at Oliver.

"Not in a way... I might think?"

"I love you..." Sophia placed a palm on Oliver's cheek. "...But... only... as a companion..." Her palm slid off Oliver's cheek, confessing her genuine feelings. "...I'm sorry," she mumbled.

"Don't be sorry," Oliver said. "I told my parents that we don't love each other."

"You did?" Sophia's eyes widened.

"I did. And it was a bad idea," he replied.

Sophia closed her eyes as she shook her head gently. "I am so sorry. Should we tell this to the mayor?"

"I don't know... I don't know," Oliver whimpered.

"...Why?" Sophia glanced at Oliver in the eyes.

Oliver shook his head, hesitating to answer. "No..."

"I will understand you..." she stated. "Remember that."

"...My adoptive mother said that... if we don't marry... they'll disown me and leave me on the streets, and I'll be exposed to the world..." Oliver sighed, concealing his tears.